Coming out party

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatman

Reaction score
Well, I've been lurking on this forum for a number of weeks now and it's time to tell my story(besides I have a question). I bought a 96 Vmax new and rode it for 2 years before finances forced a sale. Of course I've wanted
one ever since and recently found a 91 for $2200. I couldn't pass it up.
It has 36xxx miles and seems all stock except for drilled out stock exhaust.
It sounded pretty mean, but after reading on this forum I decided not mean
enough and ordered a Marks 4 into 2 system. That's some beautiful work, in stainless. Once I ordered that, I realized (thanks to you all) that I also
had to have a Morleys muscle kit, and a drag bar, and a shift light, and a cyclemod taillight. I've got a disease, but I don't mind.:biglaugh: As soon as my
finances recover which could be awhile, I will get the seat modified and change out fork springs and rear shocks. Anyhow, here's my question. When I took off the stock headpipes, there seemed to be no gasket. I assumed they were missing, or had become one with the cylinder head, although there didn't seem to be anything that needed prying out of there.
Hoping they were there and I just couldn't tell them apart from the head surfaces, I installed the new exhaust. Of course it leaks loudly at the rear headers. Do you normally have to dig out the gaskets, or do you think there were none there to begin with? It didn't leak with the stock pipes.
Thanks for any help with this, and all the help and advice I have already gotten. Great forum.//Matt

They are still in there. Carefully take a finger and dig it out. If they weren't there you would definitely notice an exhaust leak. Welcome!

Well, I've been lurking on this forum for a number of weeks now and it's time to tell my story(besides I have a question). I bought a 96 Vmax new and rode it for 2 years before finances forced a sale. Of course I've wanted
one ever since and recently found a 91 for $2200. I couldn't pass it up.
It has 36xxx miles and seems all stock except for drilled out stock exhaust.
It sounded pretty mean, but after reading on this forum I decided not mean
enough and ordered a Marks 4 into 2 system. That's some beautiful work, in stainless. Once I ordered that, I realized (thanks to you all) that I also
had to have a Morleys muscle kit, and a drag bar, and a shift light, and a cyclemod taillight. I've got a disease, but I don't mind.:biglaugh: As soon as my
finances recover which could be awhile, I will get the seat modified and change out fork springs and rear shocks. Anyhow, here's my question. When I took off the stock headpipes, there seemed to be no gasket. I assumed they were missing, or had become one with the cylinder head, although there didn't seem to be anything that needed prying out of there.
Hoping they were there and I just couldn't tell them apart from the head surfaces, I installed the new exhaust. Of course it leaks loudly at the rear headers. Do you normally have to dig out the gaskets, or do you think there were none there to begin with? It didn't leak with the stock pipes.
Thanks for any help with this, and all the help and advice I have already gotten. Great forum.//Matt

can't answer but how hard would it be to get pics of where the headers meet the cylinder?

EDIT: nvm mark beat me to it

When I replaced mine, they had to be dug out. No way I could get them out with a finger.... Course they had been in there for 23,000 miles.

I just installed a Mark's exhaust and my gaskets were still in. I was able to pull the front two gaskets out with my fingers and they were still in good shape. The rear ones however, I could not get out of their hiding place. Using a flashlight to determine that they were still actually in there, I then "inspected" them by feel. Mine were all still fine.

when i installed my marks system the rear pipes leaked you have to leave them real loose and make sure the flange is square with the head they tend to tilt a bit either from the pipes being to far pushed together or not far enough. once the are flat in there snug it up and try it.
Chris

Thanks for the replys. I'll try loosening things up and readjusting. It
sure doesn't feel or look like there are gaskets there, but after 36xxx miles,
I guess they are hard to detect. I bought new ones, so I will try and
get out the old ones. The only internet connection available where I
live is dial-up, I don't have the patience to load pictures, and forget
about trying to watch a youtube video.

Thanks for the replys. I'll try loosening things up and readjusting. It
sure doesn't feel or look like there are gaskets there, but after 36xxx miles,
I guess they are hard to detect. I bought new ones, so I will try and
get out the old ones. The only internet connection available where I
live is dial-up, I don't have the patience to load pictures, and forget
about trying to watch a youtube video.

Goatman, the gaskets have to be in there, there's prolly some carbon build up, etc. disguising them. Try a small screwdriver, or even one of those curved picks that come in a nutcracker set, and probe around a little. The old gaskets will 'feel' softer than the steel port behind them.

The stock gaskets are really hard. Mine just fell out but I had less than 1000 miles on mine... lol

I replaced them with new instead of do-dicking around hoping they'd seal up.

When I did my exhaust I had the same reaction, I was looking for a gasket like you'd find on a car. These things don't look like that at all, they are thicker and are made with some kind of mesh in the middle if I remember right. It was suggested to me to replace them even if they "look" fine, I think they were about $7 each.

Good Luck

They were in there. The carbon buildup made them look and feel like
part of the head. I dug at them with a screw driver and once a little
loose they fell out. Now I'm working on installing the Morley kit.
Hopefully there will be a successful start up later today. Thanks for
the help.//Matt

Back