Confused

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
I pulled my carbs today to do a full inspection and cleaning. While I was reading the manual the first step before doing anything was to number the carbs. I grabbed a pencil to mark each carb and to my surprise they were already numbered. Being the fourth owner I went back to the owners manual to check the records but there was no mention of the carbs being worked on, but the records stopped in 2005. The bike is a 97 and has 38000 km or about 24000 miles. Am I to assume the carbs have been opened up between 2005 and 2011. Do you think I should go ahead and continue with my little project or leave the carbs alone? Opinions?

If they are out I would do a cleaning, at least split into 2 pairs and go through them. Remove a/f screws and jets and jet blocks and clean that much at least. I have done that a few times and it's not that hard to do. Set your float levels also, if they look really bad when you get into them then you may want to go deeper. The cleaning thread on this forum is easy to fallow, good luck and keep us posted and ask for advice if needed.

If they are out I would do a cleaning, at least split into 2 pairs and go through them. Remove a/f screws and jets and jet blocks and clean that much at least. I have done that a few times and it's not that hard to do. Set your float levels also, if they look really bad when you get into them then you may want to go deeper. The cleaning thread on this forum is easy to fallow, good luck and keep us posted and ask for advice if needed.

Thanks for your thoughts 2fear, sounds like a good idea. Go in and do the basics but if things look messy go deeper. Will definitely be asking advice as I move forward. This place is a gold mine of knowledge...and I love to learn about this bike.

Am I to assume the carbs have been opened up between 2005 and 2011.

It would be difficult to take them apart without some signs on the screw heads - suggest you get out your Sherlock Holmes magnifying glass and inspect them (the wearing of a Deer Stalker hat and smoking a pipe is optional)

Do you think I should go ahead and continue with my little project or leave the carbs alone? Opinions?

I am a great believer in 'If it ain't broke...'

Is there an issue that is concerning you?
If there isn't one then spend the time you would have taken dismantling, assessing and re-building them doing something pleasurable.

What could be more pleasurable than rebuilding a set of carbs!! :confused2: :biglaugh:

indeed:biglaugh:...if only the bike could run with out em. be nice to have a spare set to tinker with.

makes for a good piece of mind that everything is good in them, you never know what the PO did.

and as danny says, what better zen moment in life then to carb R&R&R(remove/rebuild/replace)

Back