Congratulations VMax, you made the list!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ent...S&cvid=c5eb5afaf7634acab9c1cf26ea1aa65a&ei=28

Top 16 Most Dangerous Motorcycles Ever Made

1714224079908.png

At least they got some basic specs correct, and they have a good pic of it. Criticizing it for not-having well-into the 21st century electronic riding aids is stupid, as no bikes had those when the VMax was designed and the Gen. 1 was current.

I'm proud to say that I had another bike on the list, and I'm still around at 70+, so I've got that going for me!

One of my acquaintances here in So. FL bought a Bimota VDUE, I was at the Bimota dealer the day he brought it out of the crate.

They do mention one of my favorite bikes, the Sportster, and they even have the controversial seat/tailpiece & fender which was designed by Willie G Davidson, and which also appeared on the first Superglide in a red, white, and blue livery. I suspect the gold paint was a rare color spec'ed on a Sportster. Allen Girdler rode a Sportster-based XR750 on the road, taking it to Europe, where during one of the boat ferry crossings, someone swiped his CA license plate, which normally would mean issues for trying to cross international borders, but by some miraculous stroke of international goodwill, he was able to make multiple border crossings without any trouble. Probably not possible today, but it happened, then. Girdler used his bike in a number of ways besides touring on it, including drag racing and roadracing. He also wrote a comprehensive book on the Sportster/XR750 which details model year changes and modifications for the bike. He's riding his XR750 in the Elysian Fields now.

1714224664911.png

Compare the two bikes and their seat/fender, not an exact copy but very similar. Back in the day, this style was a very polarizing piece. It generated much discussion among the Milwaukee faithful, similar to the XLCR Sportster.

1714225209412.png

1714225384753.png

In an interesting point of information, all three of these H-D's were designed by the same person, Willie G Davidson. At Daytona, I've spoken to Willie G and his wife Nancy. She's gone now, 3 years ago, she did much to raise funds for the MDA charity and for diabetes research.

Thanks for sharing the article, @schudaddie! I also found Motorcycle Classics to be a reputable source of information. It's always fun to discover the history behind different models, like Yamaha V-Max in this article.

The Kawasaki H2 (two stroke) made both lists. I used to own a '73 & I would agree.

Latest posts

Back