Contours 1400 or GenII?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contours14 or GenII

• Contours14

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • VMAX GenII

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Pie

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Falaholic

Reaction score
Looking at getting another bike. Looking at highway mostly, something for touring/cross country, long trips. Something that I can cruise at >80mph. Kinda don't want a Wing, so these are my current thought options.

I'm looking at the Contours14; ZX-14 on a sport touring setup?
Or go with a GenII.

I know what ya'll are going to say (GenII), but I'm looking for a tourer.

If you have another option, by all means post it up.

What says the hive?

If you're looking to use it for touring I'd get the Concours.
If you just want a seriously Bad Ass Bike get the Gen 2. ;)

my buddy has a concourse and i love that thing. its a big bike but its got a ton of power and its very comfortable. its hard to go slow on cause it cruises so effortlessly. ive never ridden a 14 but i rode a busa with higher bars and lowered pegs. it was ok for a sportbike, but it was no concourse or fjr.

For open road touring I would go with the Kawi............With the Gen II you will need to fuel up every 80mi or so..................Tom.

This maybe a little different to having a plain touring or sport touring but if you have ever wondered what was down that long gravel road off into the hills you may want to look at an Adventure touring bike. Yamaha has a good one in the Super Tenere which gets great reviews for road touring, it's a 70 % road/ 30 % dirt bike. From reports it is one of the more capable off road ADV bike in the market and starting in 2014 the Super Tenere has factory cruise control, heated grips to go along with traction control and ABS. Fuel mileage will be ~60 mpg with a 6 gal tank so you will get over 350 miles between fillups. As far as touring accessories it has all the storage, wind protection along with good aftermarket choices. You can get a new one for anywhere from $10k for a '12, '14 es for $13k, to full sticker for a '15/ '16 at $16k.
Here is some info and feedback: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-yamaha-super-tenere-xt1200z-big-thread.545850/
Dedicated forum: http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum

Here is a picture of one in action on the Tail of the Dragon:
Doin' work on the Tail of the Dragon  This bike gets it done!.jpg
"Doin' work on the Tail of the Dragon this past Saturday. Saw two other Teneres up there, one blue with factory hard boxes on it, and one matte grey riding 2-up. This bike gets it done. Period."

+1 for Connie. You already have a max, this way you have the touring roll covered.

If I were going to ad another to the stable It would be a Connie or a K bike but there is something awesome about a decent sport/tour bike.

Kawasaki hands down you will love it my friend has one its a 2012 we rode last year to deals gap he you can select the mode you want to ride from performance to touring in tour mode he was getting over 50mpg an cruising 75mph the D&D slip on can corbin seat with the glove box is slick.

I voted for pie... cause I do not have interest in a GenII Max, and the Concour, like the ZX-14, is simply too massive for me. (another one of them bikes if I swung my leg over, I do not have enough leg to push it off the sidestand) Now, I can do a Busa just fine, a Valkarie, the latest gen GW, and several others just fine. I would probably look for a Busa, and go with some raised bars, and find a way to mount Givi bags and trunk.

Only problem with the Busa would be where the hell to mount an amp and speakers... probably would be best for me to get a Venture lol

For the money I will have into my 2008 B king set up to tour ($9000) I have to say it's a bad ass ride and with the big seat i can go long distance and with a busa motor its got loads of power and easy to work on. The hepco and becker saddle bag luggage is tough and you dont have to be pissed off when you hit a boot on the painted area like on a 14 connie. I got the bike with 3000 mile's on it for $8000 and it's a cool bike you wont see everywhere. That being said the connie and zx 14 are great bikes for touring if you set up the zx 14 with some luggage. Redbone has a great point about the dirt roads but im not sure i would spend over $7000 on a bike that i would not only like to take down dirt roads because i would want to hit the trails also. So i might go with a klr650 or a xr650r you can set the bike's up to do all and if you drop it in the trails you wont cry over it. I have covered the trail's on quad's with my son and friends and it was alot of fun but i have alway's want to set a bike up that would cover pavement dirt and trails. For know i will ride the B King. If you plan on taking a rider with you hands down you should go with a 1500 to 1800 gold wing. bang for the buck get a venture or a voyager.

great deal https://lansing.craigslist.org/mcd/5088537237.html

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/5147609689.html

Speaking of bikes you don't see coming at you all the time. Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird with luggage . Super smooth F.I. motor ( '99 & up ) , for warp speed and touring. Reliable like a Honda. Relatively rare here as they were only sold from late '96 to '03 , but lots of parts available , as they were sold overseas until '07 . Lots of aftermarket stuff available too , but not many really needed or required for touring.

Attachments

• BB & Sr 71 Blackbird.jpg
    BB & Sr 71 Blackbird.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 22
  • BB 2002 Silver With Corbin Beetle Bags.jpg
    BB 2002 Silver With Corbin Beetle Bags.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 22
  • BB 2002 Cherry Red w- Givi - Lighting.jpg
    BB 2002 Cherry Red w- Givi - Lighting.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 21
  • BB with sidecar 5.jpg
    BB with sidecar 5.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 20
Can't go wrong with a Concours for touring, I loved mine before it got totaled by minivan. I had never heard of the Super Tenere Redbone mentioned and I think it is now my new dream bike after watching some videos and reading through the specs. I have always been a fan of dual-sport bikes and the Tenere seems to have gotten it all right while keeping it at a decent price point.

Can't go wrong with a Concours for touring, I loved mine before it got totaled by minivan. I had never heard of the Super Tenere Redbone mentioned and I think it is now my new dream bike after watching some videos and reading through the specs. I have always been a fan of dual-sport bikes and the Tenere seems to have gotten it all right while keeping it at a decent price point.
As you read more about this bike (and ride reports)you'll hear a lot of "gas, oil, and tires...pretty much all to report with S-10 ownership" is what really got me thinking about some of trips I could do on this bike, maybe even solo once I've got some miles on it and learn it's operation inside/ out. I already have two trips in mind once I get to point where I have the time, can afford it and the trips.
As far as having a streetable dirtbike is something I want too. I 've been following the WR250R but I think it may be a little underpowered for my tastes so something in the 450 range would be more to my liking or maybe a Husaberg FE570 would be a dream bike but they stopped making their 70 degree motors when they were bought out by KTM.

Back