Cool hauler for your VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Really cool project................I like the gasser look myself, sitting up high with wide steels out back and torque thrusts up front..........:biglaugh:

Yeah, just right for the Dream Cruise. Isn't that going on about now in The Motor City?

With the right black paint job and a kiss of chrome, that would make a sweet hauler.

But something tells me that this hauler might be some fun. :punk:

Attachments

• megaccycle.jpg
    megaccycle.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 31
  • mega18uh.jpg
    mega18uh.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 28
  • mega35lt.jpg
    mega35lt.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 32
  • mega finished.jpg
    mega finished.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 31
I'm not 100% sure but I think the Dream cruise is next weekend, the weekend after that is the 28th street Metro cruise here in GR, yeah it's a copycat thing but we're on our 6th or 7th year and going strong...................Cool vehicle KJ, not very practical but i wouldn't mind being seen in it!...................

With the right black paint job and a kiss of chrome, that would make a sweet hauler.

But something tells me that this hauler might be some fun. :punk:

FL is not a place for black, not for me anyway. It's a popular color but in the summer your car never seems to cool down. I think the cool color for that would be a root beer & yes, some chrome. I have nothing against chrome, on old vehicles I like the chrome bumpers & windshield trim & door handles/mirrors. The 'monochrome' look has been done to death.

I recall Ed Roth did one of those haulers such as you showed us in that pic. I think if was the Surfite, or something. He also made $$ off it by getting 'product placement' when it was used as a prop in several 1960's movies, I think one of them was "Beach Blanket Bingo."
surfite-version-2.jpg

Originally named by Robert Williams, "Captain Pepi's Motorcycle & Zeppelin Repair" was later changed to "Mega Cycle" after a strong suggestion from car show promoters. Ed built it so he could haul his Triumph twin.

mega-cycle-2.jpg

Ed's "Mega Cycle." 1967!
I liked the 1st name better.

I happen to own Beach blanket Bingo as well as other sixties movies with Frankie and the gang, I'll have to see if it's a prop in there somewhere................Tom.

I happen to own Beach blanket Bingo as well as other sixties movies with Frankie and the gang, I'll have to see if it's a prop in there somewhere................Tom.

Yeah, it's there, in a background of a shot or two. I have something which says exactly when it shows-up but I didn't look at it yet.

There is a documentary about Ed narrated by John Goodman called Tales of the Rat FInk. You can watch it on instant view on Netflix. I had the pleasure of meeting Big Daddy at the Green Bay World of Wheels the spring before he passed away. I was in awe at how he was sitting at the meet and greet table painting and pinstriping one of those little tin waste baskets while he talked to fans. It was as he could paint by muscle memory.
Not to take anything away from George Barris, but I always thought Roth was more creative than most of his peers. Barris was, and is a great car customizer, and some of his creations are pretty damn cooll. But Roth transcended just building hot rods.

I have a library of mechanics-related books on cars,mcy's, trucks, planes, etc. & one is a bio of Ed Roth. A great read, lots of info on his work methods & motivations. He is one of the most creative persons in the car field & because of Hot Wheels his designs have passed the most incredible #'s. You see his influence in many auto products. Those t shirts he made at the auto shows are worth $$ as art now. Those bubbles he was so fond of using he formed in a friend's pizza oven.

Back