Coolant Elbow

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvmccreary

Reaction score
I seriously must be missing a few screws or something. How the hell do you get this coolant elbow in? Maybe I have the wrong orings or something but I've tried everything short of a sledge hammer to get it in, and how the heck do you get it on, both sides and get the gasket in? Seriously think I might lose my mind over this.

You have to remove the water pump, install the elbow in the pump then remount the pump and the elbow into the stat housing at the same time.

Is it supposed slide right in? I have pushed, pushed, pushed and pushed until I was ready to pass out. And when I did get it to go in one side, when I took it out the oring was shredded

It should slide in....try a little lithium grease for lube, twist instead of pushing straight.

Did you really pass out? :surprise: :biglaugh:

I replaced the o-rings on my earlier this year. Took the water pump off and the elbow came loose easily. Replaced the two o-rings, then fit it back into the water pump by sliding it in. Then pressed it into the thermostat housing with a small amount of force. Nothing too strong. Are you referring to the water pump gasket?

I haven't done it this way my self but I understand you can remove the coolant joint the elbow plugs into instead of the water pump to accomplish the same task.

I had no issue with mine, it was an aftermarket Otec piece. It is a very tight fit but if everything is clean and free if debris it should fit. I just greased them a bit with whatever was available.

Just a thought but excessive corrosion might cause this problem, and could be solved with a Dremel polishing wheel pretty quickly I think.

I'd make sure something else is not the problem before I started "clearancing" things.

Have you miked the old and new pieces to compare OD's?

I installed my Otec elbow by removing the thermostat housing (no antifreeze in engine), installing the O-rings then twisting the elbow first into the water pump housing then into the thermostat housing and refitted the thermostat housing.
This winter I'm going to replace the O-ring between drain cock assembly and thermostat housing since I get a occasional drip from that connection.
Like the others have said, making sure the mating surfaces are clean/ burr free and with a little O-ring friendly grease to help the surfaces twist together so as not to tear the O-rings.

I installed my Otec elbow by removing the thermostat housing (no antifreeze in engine), installing the O-rings then twisting the elbow first into the water pump housing then into the thermostat housing and refitted the thermostat housing.
This winter I'm going to replace the O-ring between drain cock assembly and thermostat housing since I get a occasional drip from that connection.
Like the others have said, making sure the mating surfaces are clean/ burr free and with a little O-ring friendly grease to help the surfaces twist together so as not to tear the O-rings.

There are 2 o-rings associated with the drain cock assembly BB, one in the stat housing and one in the valve part....both the same size, might's well replace both as long as you're there.

There are 2 o-rings associated with the drain cock assembly BB, one in the stat housing and one in the valve part....both the same size, might's well replace both as long as you're there.
I'll be looking over the fiche and checking inventory for what I'll need for this winters work. Thanks for the heads up BD!

It should slide in....try a little lithium grease for lube, twist instead of pushing straight.

Did you really pass out? :surprise: :biglaugh:

HAha no I didn't reallllllly pass out but I'm not lying when I say I used all my might to try and push and twist this thing on there. Thanks for all the advise guys, I'm going to have Matt vs. Coolant Elbow Rnd #2 some time later this week, could be tonight, and I'll see if some of your suggestions work. :punk:

In other news, My neighbor was working on his bike the same day I was mine, which was a bit odd considering he had it covered up all year except one day in the spring. Come to find out he is looking to sell it, cheap. Its a 99' Vstar 650cc 38,xxx. $1500. Ey?

20130915_103620_zpsbe35b8dc.jpg

I have a very fine wire brush that was for shotgun cleaning to "clean" up the female openings. I have since found a Dremel attachment made of Scotchbritr material.
For some reason I always find build up in there but it is not corrosion. I used Vaseline on my O rings and still did the "Twist and Shout" insertion method. It's tempting to want to bang them home with something but that mars the finish. Trust me on that. The only technique I employ is to stuff the O ring in with a blunt pick tool which gets the whole ring compressed in the groove and not getting pinched going in. Start with the part of the ring farthest from you in first and work your way toward you. Once you see it is stuffed in the opening is the time to twist and push. Lube the whole inside not just the ring as it is dry in there. You can do it!

Back