coolant leak?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellboy

Reaction score
HI guys, I'm stumped. I changed and flushed my coolant a couple of weeks ago. since then, she leaks coolant but only when cold, a day or two after I've ridden??? It was coming from The radiator manifold where the plastic housing that the cap goes onto fits flush up with the metal manifold held with 3 large screws, just oozing out. I put gasket material in there and now this morning after a ride yesterday, It is now dripping from the bottom of the water pump housing from a small hole on the bottom just behind the drain screw. When I say dripping, I mean maybe a half a teaspoon in a day or two but there is that small little green puddle. The reservoir is down a little and when you take the brand new cap off from the manifold fill it is full to the top. There is no leaking when hot at all and temps are good while riding. It is only while sitting cold??? The leak has just moved as though there is pressure building up. Can anyone help, it's very annoying and a bit worrying. Thanks

When you say "Flushed" you didn't use a commercial flush product did you?

Every time I have ever used a flush product that is supposed to clean or remove deposits multiple leaks were sure to follow. This was years ago on automobiles.

Won't touch the stuff now.

In any case all you can do now is chase the leaks as needed.
If you did use a flush product I would also flush it again with water only to get it gone for good.

The leak on the small open hole by the water pump drain plug is a water pump seal leak

Thanks Rusty, I use the term flushed as a none mechanic. I rinsed out the whole system with fresh water, no chemicals. I simply ran it through until no color left. It didn't leak from the small hole until I stopped the leak up around what I am calling the Radiator manifold. It seems strange that there is NO leakage at all when riding or stopped when hot. Not even hours later, but a day or two. Maybe I washed out all of the little bits of gunk that were actually blocking all of the little leaks that have occurred over the bikes 26 years? please excuse all of my technical jargon, not.

No, I was just trying to clarify. Sounds like you did the right thing for sure.

At this point I'd just chase the leaks you have, don't let it get you down. These bikes are worth the trouble.

Thanks again Rusty, I found Donnely317's instructions on how to fix it and I've ordered the appropriate parts.

Matt

I thought coolant from the bottom of the pump means pump needs a new bearing ( internal)

I thought coolant from the bottom of the pump means pump needs a new bearing ( internal)

Coolant from the weep hole at the bottom of the water pump indicates the internal seal has failed....it could be a result of a bad bearing or simple failure but it's a good idea to change the bearing, oil seal & mechanical seal anytime you have to take the pump apart.....they aren't that expensive.

Latest posts

Back