Coolant system "gurgling"??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire106

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have read many of the threads here about overheating but have not seen anything about a gurgling sound. Here is the issue I am having.

Finishing the last long ride I took before being deployed, which was about 300 miles at 85 degrees, I noticed a "gurgling" sound when I shut off the bike along with some coolant leaking from the reservoir overflow. Temps during the ride were "normal" for my bike reading about half to 2/3 on the temp gauge depending on traffic and speed. Fan was coming on and off as it usually does...
I kept my eye on temps after that and noticed the same issue one or twice. The bike was then put away for a year while I was deployed.

This season I started off by flushing the coolant system and refilling with Engine Ice but still getting the gurgling.

Here is what happened yesterday. It was 55 degrees out. I went for short ride...about 10 miles top speed only 50mph. When I returned home and shut off the bike....the temp gauge was just over half way up......fan was on......I could here the "gurgling" and the coolant reservoir, which started just above the "low" mark, was not completely full.

I just wanted to get some input before I do anything. I am planning on trying to purge any air in the coolant system but still researching that procedure. Was also going to look into changing the Tstat and radiator cap as well as install fan switch.

I realize this gurgling must be due to heat and pressure but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if so what would you recommend.

Thanks

mike

Sounds like you may need a new radiator cap. It is designed to maintain pressure in the system whereby preventing the antifreeze/water mixture from boiling. Less pressure in the system means that the fluid can boil at a lower temp. When the fluid starts to boil, the vapor escapes through the cap, travels down the overflow hose and into the reservoir, resulting in the gurgling sound. Any automotive shop should be able to pressure test your cap. Also be sure that your system is full and purged. Do this by removing the cap and starting the engine. The cap is at the highest point in the cooling system, (behind the right scoop) so the air will naturally become trapped there as the coolant circulates. Fill accordingly with the engine running.

Worst case scenario is a head gasket leak, exhaust gases can sneak into your cooling system and bubble out through your reservoir.
Take off the right hand scoop and check your true coolant level (do not open it when the engine is hot - it's under pressure) it should be pretty close to full and a nice green/blue coolant color - not murky brown/gray carbon & traces of oil mixture

Also check under your coolant pump and see if there is any signs of a leak at the weep hole.Paint worn off around the hole? When they first start to leak it is very little and burns off before hitting the ground. If so, it's seal time. They do wear out, being in constant contact with the impeller.
+1 for the T-stat and cap. If you can get a garage to use a sniffer to not detect co gas at the open cap you can put the head gasket possibility to rest. I think you would run a lot hotter if the head gasket leaked. Just my H.O.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Do make sure the drain cock was rotated back to the 2 oclock position close.

Thanks for the info guys. Here is what I got so far. I was able to get a new cap and T stat from Napa...got both to $18. I took off the old cap and ran the bike up to temp to make sure there is no air in the system. I didn't get any bubbles that i noticed. Drain cock is in the right position. Coolant is clear blue. Coolant level is nice and full in the radiator with the reservoir line just above low. I put the new cap on and choked the bike to get 3000 RPMs. The fan kicked on at about 2/3s up the gauge. Coolant level slowly raised in the reservoir up to the "full" line and thats where it stayed. I did this for about 15-20 min. Obviously I will have to take her for a ride to truly tell if it was just the cap. If after a ride I get the gurgling again I will replace the Tstat and take it from there.

I have been able to take her out on a couple of short rides in the last few days and have not had any temp issues or gurgling. Going on a toys for tots run Sunday then leaving Monday on a 2 day trip up to New Hampshire. Will know for sure after that.

Thanks for the info guys

Greetings,

I have read many of the threads here about overheating but have not seen anything about a gurgling sound. Here is the issue I am having.

Finishing the last long ride I took before being deployed, which was about 300 miles at 85 degrees, I noticed a "gurgling" sound when I shut off the bike along with some coolant leaking from the reservoir overflow. Temps during the ride were "normal" for my bike reading about half to 2/3 on the temp gauge depending on traffic and speed. Fan was coming on and off as it usually does...
I kept my eye on temps after that and noticed the same issue one or twice. The bike was then put away for a year while I was deployed.

This season I started off by flushing the coolant system and refilling with Engine Ice but still getting the gurgling.

Here is what happened yesterday. It was 55 degrees out. I went for short ride...about 10 miles top speed only 50mph. When I returned home and shut off the bike....the temp gauge was just over half way up......fan was on......I could here the "gurgling" and the coolant reservoir, which started just above the "low" mark, was not completely full.

I just wanted to get some input before I do anything. I am planning on trying to purge any air in the coolant system but still researching that procedure. Was also going to look into changing the Tstat and radiator cap as well as install fan switch.

I realize this gurgling must be due to heat and pressure but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and if so what would you recommend.

Thanks

mike

If you have a stock fan switch & thermostat there must be something wrong with your temp gauge. There's no way the fan would be on at the half way point with stock items. :ummm:

Dave

Latest posts

Back