COP Resistance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helo1

Reaction score
Guys I found a post on here showing the resistance a COP should have. However while I was out measuring the coils one of my kids closed my browser and for the life of me I cant find it again.:bang head::bang head: All four of my cops measure
Primary at 1.1 m
3 out of 4 seconday at 11.25 k
the fourth seconday is 3.64 M
The bike is missing through out the rpm range and then dies. I cycle the kill switch and it will start and run for a few minutes. Im not an electrician so im asking will the coil with the secondary reading 3.64 M cause this popping, missing and stalling?

3 out of 4 look within expected range.

4th that you show at 3.64 m is out of line with rest.

FWIW, 'M' is usually a short hand notation for meg ohms. I assume you mean ohms for the 4 primary's and the one low secondary.

Different COP's coils will vary in both primary and secondary readings.

Primary is almost always below 3 ohms and secondary is genearally 10,000 ~ 20,000 ohms.

It is difficult to get a decent reading on a coil, an inductance meter is choice for really accurate readings, shown in pictures of cop's I was testing at work. Also primary's are so low, factors such as lead resistance and quality of meter factor in.

Since you have one coil way out of line with others, that is a good place to start.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_5292.jpg
    IMG_5292.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5293.jpg
    IMG_5293.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 27
Thanks Gary I plan on buying another set. This problem has been extremely frustrating. Intermitent problems suck! Hopefully since this one is so out of line its my problem. I have checked everything else I can find on here. pick up coil and charging system are well within specs so we will see. I will post update after I find another set.

I purchased a new set and my bike is back to normal! So for those of you that have COPS this is what mine did when the one went bad.
Sitting at a light it started reving and backfiring all at the same time. Sounded crazy! I shut it off and restarted it. It ran fine the rest of the day. Then it started doing it more frequently. However I would cycle the kill switch and restart it and it would fire right up and run fine. Then it started doing it at highway speeds. I cleaned the kill switch changed the brain box checked all connections before finding the bad coil. Hopefully this will keep somebodies frustration level lower than what mine got too! LOL

Latest posts

Back