corbin vs sportmax seat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markmax

Reaction score
I am planning on getting a new seat for my max. But I don't know any thing about the sportmax seat. I read what they have to say about them on their sight. I was wondering which one people like better, and was wondering about the 2-3 inche lower ride of the sportmax seat. Does this make that much of a difference and do we like the seat that much lower?

I love my lowered star fighter.Sean Morely sells a lowered seat (muscle seat) that is very nice also.I have seen alot of them and he has a lot of options available.He is also modifying corbins.

personally I dont like the corbin at all. They are very hard until broken in, which can take up to 10k miles. Plus they have that rediculous velcro flap that covers the gas cap instead of the middle piece that flips up.

Id go with the sportsmax, or the UFO seats. My uncle has the sportsmax and he loves it, plus there are different fabric choices if I remember correctly

markmax said:
I am planning on getting a new seat for my max. But I don't know any thing about the sportmax seat. I read what they have to say about them on their sight. I was wondering which one people like better, and was wondering about the 2-3 inche lower ride of the sportmax seat. Does this make that much of a difference and do we like the seat that much lower?

I had a Corbin. It was as comfortable as a vinyl covered brick can be. It never loosened up.

I now have a SportMax seat and have had it for years. It is very good.

You should also look into having Sergeants re-do your seat. Their info is on the VMOA homepage.

Our seats are pretty nice if I must say so myself. We offer much more options then most of the other seat makers. We do retro fit the Corbins for those that want to keep them. We trim them up and re-foam them with something not so firm.

I can send pics anytime.

Sean Morley

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 92
  • Yellow_and_Black.JPG
    Yellow_and_Black.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 67
What is the turn around time on your seats Sean. Right now I don't want the down time, but winter will be here too soon also. But every time I ride for an hour or so it makes me want a new seat now and not wait. The stock max seat really is a pain in the butt! I can't wait till next summer to try a wider seat on a long ride.

I found a ride in northern New Mexico I want to go on, but it will be a 2 hour ride just to get there and the not sure...a few hours for the real ride when I get there. I just can't see doing it this year on the stock seat. Taos will have to wait till next year.

one2dmax said:
Our seats are pretty nice if I must say so myself. We offer much more options then most of the other seat makers. We do retro fit the Corbins for those that want to keep them. We trim them up and re-foam them with something not so firm.

I can send pics anytime.

Sean Morley

Sean
Any pics of a retro'd Corbin? I've got 50k miles on it and it's getting pretty long in the tooth. I'm planning a re-do this winter.
Thanks!
Kelly

The redone corbin should be ready next week. I have plenty of good cores on hand for "0" downtime. I send you the new one and you send your old one when it comes in.

Sean

Hey Mark, I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in owning an '06. Careful about starting the mods. Mine started quite inocently with a $30 set of mirrors....It's Pandora's Box, I tell you...:rofl_200:

Sean, that black seat looks sharp. That is the "Sportmax"? Very nice, and looks comfy.

I hear ya about the mods. I put a set of cobra exhaust and some engine guards on so far. Now I want a new seat and one of the mini windshields. And some new mirrors also.

I have had a Corbin on my Harley's and now have the newer Corbin on mine and would not trade it. Yes, the Corbin is very hard and that is what makes it comfortable for long rides. Soft equals pressure sores while the Corbin lets you ride 600 mile days without a problem. A Corbin is similar to a horse saddle in that once the seat forms to your butt (takes about a week) you can sit on it all day without your butt going numb. The newer style also makes it easier to fill the tank as compared to the stock mid section flip seat.

Redux said:
Hey Mark, I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in owning an '06. Careful about starting the mods. Mine started quite inocently with a $30 set of mirrors....It's Pandora's Box, I tell you...:rofl_200:

Sean, that black seat looks sharp. That is the "Sportmax"? Very nice, and looks comfy.

O6 owner here too!! :eusa_dance:

I thought this bike was going to be easier on my wallet in the mods department than my previous R1's were................boy was I wrong!!

hopefully we'll have the reworked Corbin done soon so I can get you pics.

We have one UFO seat (taken in on trade for one of ours - I have even taken in sportmax seats). Eventually we are going to sell it but not right away (it's out on loan).

I'm pretty biased but the other brands of seats seem fine and they all serve the same purpose.

Sean Morley

mabchewy said:
What's everyones thoughts on the UFO seat?

I think the seats are just fine. And from what Ive seen of the UFO products they all seem good. But I have heard of people having serious problems getting in touch with John Cornell after paying him. I didnt have this problem with my order, but two guys I know paid for his exhaust and waited months for it to come in....after he told them they were in stock and ready to ship.

1 canceled his order, and the other ended up getting the exhuast and loved it.

all for what its worth...

I have a Sportmax and I like it, but it does put your ass pretty close to the footpegs. A friend of mine with a '93, had them add about an inch to their standard seat and he was very much impressed.

1FK00 said:
I have a Sportmax and I like it, but it does put your ass pretty close to the footpegs. A friend of mine with a '93, had them add about an inch to their standard seat and he was very much impressed.
It's hard to believe that nobody has come up with an aftermarket fix for the driver's pegs. Moving the pegs forward, along with the pedals would be easy and make a world of difference for long legged guys. It even bothered me that the pegs are where you want your feet to be when at a light. My fix was forward controls and now I wouldn't be without them.

Back