corbin vs sportmax seat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forward controls in an aggressive riding condition do not promote control of the machine. If that was the case every sportbike made would have them.

However, they are more comfortable for some who feel cramped up.

Personally, my riding style leans more towards rear controls but to each their own.

Sean Morley

mikemax04 said:
It's hard to believe that nobody has come up with an aftermarket fix for the driver's pegs. Moving the pegs forward, along with the pedals would be easy and make a world of difference for long legged guys. It even bothered me that the pegs are where you want your feet to be when at a light. My fix was forward controls and now I wouldn't be without them.

I personally love the position of the pegs. Its a nice blend of the sometimes uncomfortable rear sets and the forward controls. I cant stand having my feet that far forward, epecially at speed or in a turn.

It did take me a while to get used to the positioning of the pegs though (I came off a sportbike) because like you said the pegs were located in the area that I was trained to put my feet down. Probably took me a month to get used to that

Those that really do aggressive riding already have a sports bike. Forward controls can be anywhere from 1" to as long as your legs can reach, as long as they are forward of the stock setup. Better to be comfortable in all riding styles than to be bent up like a pretzel. I bought my Max for the acceleration and not to see when the rubber will slip out from under me. But, to each his own.

KRL0215 said:
I personally love the position of the pegs. Its a nice blend of the sometimes uncomfortable rear sets and the forward controls. I cant stand having my feet that far forward, epecially at speed or in a turn.

It did take me a while to get used to the positioning of the pegs though (I came off a sportbike) because like you said the pegs were located in the area that I was trained to put my feet down. Probably took me a month to get used to that
It's all in what you like and what you're used to. When my bike was new, the first change was the forward controls. Along with those, I reversed the shifting pattern to press down for an up shift. New bike and too many changes at one time where I had to think about which way the shifter has to go. I don't have a problem with many guys wanting to absolutely make a carver out of their ride, but there are many more that can enjoy the bike just as much for the purpose it was originally designed for. Throwing a lot of money into a Max to make it something it will never be is foolish. Those that also want a canyon carver would do a lot better in getting a used 600 or 1K as a second bike, that was meant for knee or knuckle scraping. In the end, having two bikes will be cheaper than sticking it all into one ride. If you wreck, only one bike gets crumpled and you still have the other. Just my 2 cents worth.

Yes, to each his own. I personally prefer to go in a straight line as fast as possible (drag racing) but I don't do half bad at cornering either.

I was the only Vmax keeping up with the sportbike guys at the Eureka Springs rally this year and many of the sportbike guys didn't have the balls or want to even try and keep up with us.

I don't have a lot of modifications on the particluar bike I rode. Progressive front springs - (stock height) - Kosman 17" rear wheel (for sticky rubber) and that's it for suspension.

Most of the time it's not the bike that is the limitation but more the rider. The sportbike guys were amazed that I could even keep up.

Sean Morley

I think you hit the nail on the head Sean. Whenever the Max isn't handling right, the bike gets all the blame. It takes a lot of practice, getting to know your bike and your ability to handle it. Some can and some can't. I couldn't do any better in the twisties if I was riding a 1K bike compared to the Max and more important still is that's just fine with me. We should all recognize our own limitations and accept them as they are. Not everybody is a hot shot or a carver, but the thrill can be the same, no matter the skill. When your life depends on it, don't compare yourself with someone more skilled in riding. I might not keep up with the knee dragers but will see a lot more of nature, and that's worth being a few minutes late.

Last edited:
I found that just changing the seat alone did not help comfort that much. I initially bought a SportMax seat but found my rearend may have benefitted but at the cost of hip joint discomfort. You've got to change bars and peg positions as well to really make the best difference.

Ken, the newer Corbin has a "plug" instead of the flap. This uncovers the filler neck much more than the old style flap did so that no "extensions" are needed. I have a new style Corbin on my bike and rode the 300 miles to Thunder with out any butt pain. Stock seat allowed me about 60~70 miles. Only "complaint" I have is that the width of the seat forces me to scoot towards the faux tank if I want to really flat foot at lights and such.
Mike

vmaxman99 said:
Ken, the newer Corbin has a "plug" instead of the flap. This uncovers the filler neck much more than the old style flap did so that no "extensions" are needed.
Mike

yeah I have seen that recently. While I think its 100% better than the older version I would still personally rather have the same style seat as stock, just refurbed. To each his own though, I know alot of guys who have the Corbins and love them

Along with the forward controls I also made foot rests where the old ones used to be. That way I can use them when I want to or fold them so they are out of the way. It's so easy making little changes to fit just your style and comfort. Check pictures. One with rest down and one with rest out of the way.

Attachments

• Openpeg.jpg
    Openpeg.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Closedpeg.jpg
    Closedpeg.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
This spring I replaced my 19 yo stock seat with a corbin, so far I have no complaints. This past weekend we did a 1100km loop through the rockys, and although I was a bit sore from that much riding in a couple of days, it was a vast improvement over the stock seat.

Back