Cracked Coils?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chatam/V-Max

Reaction score
After a long, long, cold winter for the max parked out in the detached garage this winter, while replacing out the battery on the max, I notice both rear coils now have slight cracks to them. Did the "cold" temps this winter cause this or? Could it be that short 10 amp jump start I did with the roll around charger? The bike runs just fine, so should I put a bit of black/clear silicone over the cracks to protect them now or? I'm just affraid to wash the max & end up screwing things up. Any suggestions for this issue would be great.

Rub some epoxy in the cracks.

As long as you seal the cracks up, you'll be just fine.

I think you will find most coils have fine cracks in them and they work fine. I wouldn't worry about the cracks in yours. I'm not sure why they crack but you can silicone them if you want.

Corona dope is the best thing to fill the cracks with.You can get it at electronics or tv repair places.Ultra high dielectric strenth.I did this to two of mine with small cracks.

I've had to do this with the old chrysler outboard motor coils, because they don't make new ones anymore. The silicone works great.

I know of several that have done that without it being a big problem.

I think it was probably a crappy plastic mix or something when they made them.

Sealing them back up is probably as good idea since internal corrosion would kill them.

Glyptall enamel is sort of the industry standard for "re-insulating" electrical stuff,

You could probably get it at any electrical supply; and it also comes in aerosol cans as well.....

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/glyptal.html

Rusty

Back