Crankcase breather & K&N Air filters

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VS Bullet

Reaction score
I have K&N air filters, the crankcase breather canister or oil/air seperater is connected to the front two air filters with rubber lines. Two larger lines come up from the crankcase and plug into the bottom of the breather canister. I started investigating this because of oil around the carbs and linkages.

This canister and the lines are taped together, and the small lines connecting it to the filters are dry rotted and taped up with electrical tape. This mess is leaking oil over the top of the engine and the back carbs.

The canister/breather is marked "Charlotte Pipe & Foundry Co."

Evidently this is some sort of rigged up device, can someone tell me what the proper crankcase breather should be installed and works with the K&N filters?
I checked K&N, and they have a breather device, but the VMax has 2 lines coming up from the crankcase, and it seems to me would work better with a better device than this simple breather filter K&N has.

Has anyone seen this setup with the "Charlotte Pipe & Foundry Co." canister?

Attachments

• RIMG0001.JPG
    RIMG0001.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 139
  • RIMG0002.JPG
    RIMG0002.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 124
I have now discovered that "Charlotte Pipe & Foundry Co." makes pvc fittings and pipe. So evidently McGyver owned this bike and made a breather out of pvc pipe fittings.

That is a dynojet stage seven setup. I can either sell you a replacement hose set or upgrade to our kit (best if you have a stock airbox around there still).

Sean

That is a dynojet stage seven setup. I can either sell you a replacement hose set or upgrade to our kit (best if you have a stock airbox around there still).

Sean

I purchased the bike used and have no extra parts.
How much for the replacement hose set?
Is it on your website?

My problem is that the canister is also broken. The hoses to the engine are ok, the hoses from the canister to the filters is bad.

I can't remember off the top of my head but want to say the assembly (which is from the oil fill cap up the to front filters) runs $70 or so. I do have a brand new one on hand.

Sean

I bet that's a vapor separator which allows the oil vapor to condense and to re-enter the engine while allowing the engine to breathe so it doesn't pop seals & push oil past the valve seals & piston rings. Dunno for sure, the engine builders can weigh-in. Sean?

It does separate the oil at the same time allowing for engine vacuum. The line comes with billet fill cap, braided covered hose, and junction. You can't build the exact same thing for that cheap. BUT, he's already got the cap so he can try and make just the junction if he wanted.

Sean

Hi folks, sorry if i'm a little off topic but i have instalation question.

I just installed this in my bike and when doing so there was a a little insert ( orfice?)i had to put in at the top of the crank case where the one hose connects to. What does that do or prevent? To me it looks like some sort of restrictor .

Thanks Steiny

It is designed to control excessive oil blowby and keep it from pushing too much oil up and into the breather.

Sean

Sean,
Thanks for the help and offer on the setup, I bought the pvc and made one since I could get the stuff locally and I'm on a budget. I had rather spend the money on something for performance or appearance. I am intending to buy some other of your products, still getting my wish list together.

I do have another question, There is a hose coming up from the filler cap, and one coming up from the top of the engine. Is one of these a drain line for the can? If so, which one is the drain and would go into the bottom of the canister?

Thanks to everyone for their help. This VMax had a poorly maintained life over the last 10 years, mostly sat in someones garage. I'm going to end up going through everything but the engine before I can ride it. All the helpfull info on this website has been invaluable.

Both can actually drain though I would make the lowest (or rear in your other thread) connect to the oil fill cap.

Sean

Back