Crimp fix question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleDeth

Reaction score
I started the crimp fix yesterday, but couldn't continue due to propane problems. I got as far as applying the flux when I realized I wasn't going to finish. So I tried the only thing I could think of, I applied heat to the tip of a screwdriver with a lighter. Futile I know, but I had to try. Well all that did was melt the flux down into the wires.

The thing of it is, the hot start problem now is about 50% of the problem that previously was. Before it would turn over like the battery was dead, yeah I would have to push start it. I just started it 5 times in a row with little problem. That would have never happened before.

Is that crimp related to more than just the charging?

I was hoping that it would help with the problem of riding at night and hitting the brakes just to watch the lights go dim for a second. Which might also be from trying to hot start it and running the battery low from the strain. Then not charging properly because of the crimp. I plan on a new battery but its about the same price as the clutch so ...decisions decisions hell half my hot starts could be the battery

I would say that you might benefit from getting hold of a soldering iron! Do the fix and see what happens.

Good, well charged batteries help a lot. With your lights dimming that much with the brakes applied, I'd say you have bigger charging issues than just the crimp fix.

Hot start issues can be minimized by going through the starter and making sure it's brush plate is making a good, solid ground to the sides of the starter case. There's a thread around here explaining how to clean and adj your starter.

Clean all your grounds, especially the one from battery to engine by the oil filler cap. Check voltage across battery while cranking over the engine, if it drops below 10 volts you may have a bad/not enough cranking amp battery or charging issue. Check the voltage across battery at idle and engine running @ 2500 RPMs. You should have atleast 13.8 volts with lights on and fan running, engine @ 2500 RPMs to maintain adequate charging for the battery to stay fully charged. Your starter could need a good cleaning and inspection also.

Should you be faced with needing to replace your starter cable or want to add a HD ground cable check out this link: http://imageevent.com/jkvmax;jsessionid=mveoc4tuw3.eagle_s
I would try all the great ideas that have suggested first to determine if there are faulty components on your Vmax. Once the issue is resolved you may want to get these cables to get max voltage throughput and grounding capabilities.

I see you have an 86 model Vmax. This model came with a 2 pole brush starter that seemed inadequate on torque. You may want to invest on a 4 pole starter which is much stronger, but first check to see if the PO has already done this replacement. I don't remember how to identify 2 pole from 4 pole, maybe someone will chime in and give that info.......

Back