Customizing tips & low $$ mods

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee in texas

Reaction score
As a new member I'm thankfull for all the advice I've received. Allow me to share some of my expertise - customizing award winning motorcycles.

1) The desire to personalize one's motorcycle is an inherit trait of nearly all
motorcyclist but before you open up your wallet have two thoughts in mind - Purpose & Proportion. Have an end game before you start. What are you trying to achieve with your modifications? How long are you planning on owning the bike? Only you know what type of riding you do and what type of rider you are.

2) We're Vmax owners so performance is always first thought but before you slap on those 39mm Flatsides take care of the basics - Tires, Brakes , Grips, Handlebars, Footpegs, Windshield and Seat. These are the key
items to a riders comfort and safety.

3) Nobody needs advice if they can afford high dollar add ons so I'll focus on a few low $$ mods.

a) Less is More - You can reduce weight and clean up the lines by removing the centerstand, rear footpegs, heat shields, inspection sticker plate and anything else you don't need.

b) Paint is cheap - A can of High Temp black can be used to blacken out the radiator, swingarm, shaftdrive, rear brake assembly, and around the engine. It allows you to hide some areas and draws your attention
to that big V-4.

c) Shop around - Ebay,Craigslist, JC Whitney, J&P Cycles and the other forum members have great deals. You don't have to spend $150 on mirrors.

d )Rome wasn't built in a day - Work on one area at a time. Handlebar risers, grips, bar ends or resourvor covers and mirrors or you could chrome the rear grab bar and install a set of rear turn signals and a chrome taillight
cover/or lay down license plate. install a fly shield and upgrade the headlight bulb and maybe a headlight visor. Front wheel - rotors/pads colored buttons from Pro Bolt. Chrome never goes out of style - The Vmax motor is the focal point of the bike chroming the carb covers and fake air intakes draws your eyes to that big V4.

e) Cover those holes - Vmax's have over 100 alan head bolts waiting to be covered. Besides chrome - use the color ones for accent. Personal favorite.

f) For the folks that have chromed their cases and wanted to retain the original yamaha design on the two cases know what pain it is to keep repainting those black sections in between the chrome. Just take a piece of white paper and trace over either cover as a template and for $25 I had a sign company make me a sheet of vinyl inserts. Problem solved!

g) Momma only left me $10 - We've all been there before. Not to fear - go
to the nearest Auto Zone or Pep Boys and buy a roll of black vinyl door
trim and install around windshield. If you have a factory fly screen use a
lighter to help mold around those hard corners. Looks great and you'll
have enough trim left over to sell or trade with your fellow riders.

Yankee

Not gonna lie....I saw this and had to double check to make sure you weren't from Tennessee!!!

I'm hoping to get some high-temp black paint and re-spray my engine soon. The engine is always the eyecatcher no matter WHERE I go.

Back