Cylinder Head Build Up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty G

Reaction score
Wanted to see if anybody had ideas of how to clean this without removing heads, thanks

Attachments

• Cylinder Head.jpeg
    Cylinder Head.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Get a $15 spray can of Sea Foam Deep and spray a thick layer all over those valves. Let it sit for 20 mins then fire it up and run the rpms up to 3k. It'll smoke like crazy for a few minutes as the old carbon burns off but it'll look much better. Do it again if necessary. I just did mine this weekend when I had the carbs off and it looks much better.

Also, it's been suggested if you use regular gas instead of premium so it'll burn hotter and won't have so much carbon build up.

Another thing I do is I occasionally spray a bunch of carb cleaner spray into the vacuum ports in the manifold while I am running the bike at 3000 rpms. This helps remove carbon deposits too.

An old shade-tree mechanic trick was to spray a mist of water into the carb mouth with the engine running. The water turns to steam, and knocks-off the carbon build-up. This was used to clean the combustion chamber of accumulations of carbon back when we still had points and rotors on cars. High-ash content oil and non-detergent oil would promote 'coke' deposits, and occasional 'de-carbon' disassembly/scraping was part of the home mechanic's preventative maintenance.

Water expands to 1700 times its volume going from a liquid to a gas.

I've done the water trick while engine running several times for old junk engines and it works. Just like mosquito remains in the windshield, cold water works the best.

DON'T do this with engines with catalytic converters in place! Remove them before cleaning then reinstall after.

Ty G, your pic is from the intake side. Your best bet is to soak that with brake cleaner and use a narrow brush. Then vacuum the dried shit out. Intake valves closed. Sometimes WD40 works well too to remove the grime. Other product to try is oven cleaner spray and brush. Take your pick.

Oven cleaner is crazy effective..it cleans all the metal casing on carburetors and engine housings if they are not painted or powdercoated...it really shines, degreases and de-oxidizes the alloys in carb bodies and engine casings...just be careful you don't get it on rubber or your hands!

If you use oven cleaner on bare aluminum castings you're probably going to end up with it discolored from its bare-metal finish.

If you use oven cleaner on bare aluminum castings you're probably going to end up with it discolored from its bare-metal finish.
Agree, aluminum is finicky that way...it will also discolor if you soak it in vinegar awhile too...found out the hard way lol

I’m a fan of Techron as well. Unlike sea foam which is alcohol based Techron is petroleum based.
Do you buy it in a spray can, or do you just run Chevron gasoline all the time? How do you get those intakes so clean? Please explain...it looks great!

It’s just a liquid fuel additive. I use it every 5th tank full to keep things clean. I’ve used it since the engine was refreshed. I’m sure it will clean yours up to a point. I’d use it often in your case. You can get it at Walmart and likely all auto part stores.

WOW! Techron is the shiznit! Gotta try it for a few tanks and then pull the carbs off to see the back side of my valves if it really works....see if its as good as it looks in your photo!

An old shade-tree mechanic trick was to spray a mist of water into the carb mouth with the engine running. The water turns to steam, and knocks-off the carbon build-up. This was used to clean the combustion chamber of accumulations of carbon back when we still had points and rotors on cars. High-ash content oil and non-detergent oil would promote 'coke' deposits, and occasional 'de-carbon' disassembly/scraping was part of the home mechanic's preventative maintenance.

Water expands to 1700 times its volume going from a liquid to a gas.
Been doing that for a while FM. Rev the engine a bit and spray a mist in. A teacher in Tech school liked ATM fluid for the same purpose.

sniffbooger, you’ll need more then just a few tanks if it’s anywhere near as bad as the above pic. Give it time before pulling the carbs and being disappointed. As I said earlier, mine started clean and Techron kept it that way.

sniffbooger, you’ll need more then just a few tanks if it’s anywhere near as bad as the above pic. Give it time before pulling the carbs and being disappointed. As I said earlier, mine started clean and Techron kept it that way.
Mine aren't nearly as bad as the above pics...plus I've already used Sea Foam heavy duty (deep) version a couple times when I had the carbs off I sprayed it good down there...I'll post pics next time I take my carbs off when my new Factory Pro High Dispersion Jet emulsion tubes arrive and I put them in the carbs .. ..

Mine aren't nearly as bad as the above pics...plus I've already used Sea Foam heavy duty (deep) version a couple times when I had the carbs off I sprayed it good down there...I'll post pics next time I take my carbs off when my new Factory Pro High Dispersion Jet emulsion tubes arrive and I put them in the carbs .. ..
I wouldn't mind hearing about the Factory Pro HD emulsion tubes and your review of them when you get them installed. I've had a set for a while now and have not put them in yet. Love to know if it's worth it.

Vinnie

Latest posts

Back