Desire a louder sound from stock exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxedout

Reaction score
Until I can save the nickels to buy a 4-1 slashcut kit is it advisable to rig the mufflers I have?
Are there mixture and/or performance consequences?
What is the process for taking the megaphone mufflers and making them louder?
Can someone give me a breakdown please?

Thanks in advance,
2007 Vmax

About the only easy thing to do to a stock exhaust is to drill out the rivets on the rear exhaust outlet plates, than drill up to 1/2 inch holes - 5 of them, in between the rivet holes and if you want - use longer rivets with rivet washers and put the plate back on.

Mike

There also is another mod that involes a sharpened rod approx. 18" long and using it to punch 3 holes in the baffle. Maybe someone who has done this exhaust mod can elaborate more.
I just did the mod that Maxcruiser mentioned and it is good enough until I can afford a SS Mark's Performance system. :punk:

The first mod I did was done by my mechanic who hammered a steel spike straight up the guts of the pipe.It opened up the exhaust and seat of the pants feeling was more power but not very loud,so then I drilled out the rivets and drilled 5 x 10 mm holes between the holes .I originally used 10 mm spacers to hold the plate out and the noise was really grating so I swapped the spacers for 5mm and the noise was less annoying.So try it and see how it feels.

I opened up my vmax muffler this way.

Bought 1 inch drill bit at Cummins tool. About $6.
Bought drill bit extender at Sears. About $20.

Pulled muffler off Vmax. Sort of a hell of a job, since you have to loosen whole exhaust system.
I'm too cautious to do this mod with muffler installed, but probably OK.

Drilled hole right down the center of each muffler.
Re-installed muffler. NOTE; here's where loosening the whole exhaust system paid off.

Went for a ride. Not MUCH louder at idle, just throatier sound. Idled fine, no re-jetting needed.
Under accelleration it is QUITE a bit louder, but not holy crap louder. Just right by me!!!
no difference in performance.

Hope this helps,

Smackdown

"opinions will vary"

At the advice of some guys here, I just drilled out the rivets and took off the plates, drilled out the rivet holes larger (8mm) and cleaned up the ends the best I could with a wire brush and dremmel and sprayed them with high heat flat black.

Love the sound:punk:

Attachments

• rearend.JPG
    rearend.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 304
louder sound from stock exhaust ...

I took a horseshoe stake and knocked out the center baffle or maybe knocked it down you might say. Then I drilled out the rivets on the end plates and then I drilled the rivet holes out with 1/2" bit. I love the sound! The difficult part was when I knocked thru/down the center baffle my horseshoe stake got wedged in the pipe and was very time consuming to wiggle and pull untill it became unstuck. The other difficult part was drilling out the rivets, no kidding they were like undrillable!:punk:

On my last VMAX which was 7 years ago I just drilled 5 holes right on the chrome plate between the rivits with a 18" 1/4" bit as I remember it gave the bike a nice deep throatie sound, louder but not too loud. I believe I drilled 3 to five holes in the center baffle too. I was very careful and surprised at how clean it looked after. Now all I hear is guys taking off the plate by drilling the rivits out and making those holes bigger.

I guess the way you do things change as time passes...

I drilled my stock exhaust last year but I drilled the1/2" holes in between the rivet holes. I ran it like this for a while but then used SS rivets and 2 washers to space the end cap out a bit.
I didn't like the look w/o the caps on it. It sounded a little better but I felt that it took a edge off the performance, no real proof other than the seat of pants feel. Here is a pic without the caps on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2776.jpg
    IMG_2776.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 76
Back