diagnose please :) Specific sound..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
When I start my vmax - I hear the typical whiz sound. Sounds good.
I also hear a knocking like right under the faux gas tank... easily heard - not faint.

Any ideas?
________
amber trichomes

Last edited:
Let me be more specific...

The knocking is before I crank it over.

It starts with zero problems.

It's when I first turn the key, I hear the typical whizzing - but I also hear a knocking..
________
starcraft replays

Last edited:
Yeah, I have no clue how to do any of that :)

This the first time owning a carbed vehicle - let alone street bike.
I?m hoping to have one the local forum members here in Oshawa area check it out for me and show me the ropes on Vmax ? carb care !
________
Mazda 929 coupe history

Last edited:
That knocking when you turn the key is the fuel pump. Normal.

That knocking when you turn the key is the fuel pump. Normal.
I dont know excatly what knocking hes refineing so you also may have right.
Need to hear it to be sure.

Maleko little offtop for you:
Today i've cleaned my carbs.
They should be DJ stage 7.
Mains are 175, have dj7 needels but have main air jest stock(mikuni).
Are they come with djs7?
Or someone changed this?

True, I call the fuel pump clicking rather than knocking. :biglaugh:

Main fuel 175's come with the kit as do DJ165's. The PAJ2 you say you have is the stock size. Air jet that comes with the kit are DJ 190's. What you have should work fine.

I would prefer to use Mikuni jets as they have better quality control. Here are the instruction to stage 7 and it shows what is included in the kit.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/4716.pdf

True, I call the fuel pump clicking rather than knocking. :biglaugh:

Main fuel 175's come with the kit as do DJ165's. The PAJ2 you say you have is the stock size. Air jet that comes with the kit are DJ 190's. What you have should work fine.

I would prefer to use Mikuni jets as they have better quality control. Here are the instruction to stage 7 and it shows what is included in the kit.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/4716.pdf
Yeah at the end we both may wrong and get him mistaken LOL :rofl_200:

Thanks.
I have again engine failure and this time bought an 1300 upgrade from Sean.
I have as above DJS7, K&N's with puke canaster and Two brothers Racing oval carbon fibre mufflers and stock headers.
Maybe do you have an idea how this setup will work with 1300cc upgrade?

Cheers

I have never tuned stage 7 using stock headers but maybe you'll do better with the 1300. Maybe Sean knows.

I have never tuned stage 7 using stock headers but maybe you'll do better with the 1300. Maybe Sean knows.

Maybe its time for the make custom bigger ID headers :)

Start with the same settings you have now.

Sean
Will try and post the results.
I think that will be fine and the bike will run great ;)

I also hear a knocking like right under the faux gas tank... easily heard - not faint.

Any ideas?

Next Saturday I am installing my EFI at another Vmaxxers place right around the corner from you. If you want to come over and hang with the boys we can take a gander at your new toy and show you some stuff to look at on the bike. Proper maintenance is extremely important and we can get you going on the right path. You have my info if you need to contact me. Feel free to get in touch any time.

Any ideas?

Typical wizz sound is the v-boost servo motor doing its test cycle.

The knock, knock ,knock sound or tock, tock, tock or tic, tic, tic (whatever you want to call it) sound your hear BEFORE you crank is the fuel pump priming the fuel line, fuel pump and carb float bowls.

The speed at which it does this depends on how much fuel has drained back to the fuel tank (under gravity) while the bike was switched off. If there is still fuel in these systems the pump doesn't need to prime and so you won't hear it happen. If the system is nearly primed it tics over slowly. If it's nearly empty it will tic over quickly.

Like Mark said it's all normal.

Any ideas?

I was told that a weak battery could cause the starter to "KNOCK" like that when you turn the key. Mine does the same thing if I leave it a few days without starting it. I guess to prove it I need to try a new battery.

I was told that a weak battery could cause the starter to "KNOCK" like that when you turn the key. Mine does the same thing if I leave it a few days without starting it. I guess to prove it I need to try a new battery.

The starter won't do anything when you turn the key, the starter button has to be depressed to complete the circuit and send power to the starter.

The starter won't do anything when you turn the key, the starter button has to be depressed to complete the circuit and send power to the starter.

You're right, I "MEANT " to say hitting the starter button, and the bike didn't start and remains off. Oh, and the sound is like a small hammer hitting something solid.

Back