Difficulties with removing carbs from engine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ojref

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've finally got around to the business of tearing my Vmax down for total rebuild this extended holiday. I've got it stripped down to the point where the carbs are ready to be pulled (lower clamps removed, throttle cables disconnected at the disconnection point) however the carbs will barely budge from the boots they're connected to. I've even tried prying against the frame of the carb rack with a dowel and using wood clamps on both sides in attempt to apply even force and slide them upward, to no avail. Is there something I'm missing with the disassembly process?

Did you loosen the upper clamp screws all the way? Pull up one carb at a time.

Agreed. Got to pull one corner at a time. To make it easier you could warm the bike up or just use a hair dryer to warm the boots. That will soften them up so they will flex more and let you remove the carbs much more easily. When they are cold they are difficult to get to pop out.

Sean

make sure you slam all you fingers with a hammer first, it will dull the pain when they eventually get caught somewhere.

haha. all joking aside did you try a hairdryer on teh boots?

^Ha - Yes, no matter how you do it you will skin your knuckles or at least trap them, resign yourself to it!
I have used a long "cheater" piece of wood or whatever and gently work them with it pushed onto engine.
Good luck

Excellent suggestions, yesterday I hit the boots up with Seafoam Deep Creep before moving on the next project, I'll break out the heat gun and apply some heat to the boots and see if they pop off.

Pull one corner at a time and dont be afraid to put your back to do it. If they still dont budge, call your mom and ask her to do it.

Back