digital speedometer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uri gal

Reaction score
Hello

Do you have any experience with this part?

http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/rx2n-10k-vmax-edition-148-p.asp

It?s a digital speedometer, has a lot of function, shift light ETC? looks cool

This model was made specific for a vmax

But still I have several question that I did not got from the sealer

Do I need to cut some wires? Or all will work with connectors that I will have with that part?

The old (RPM,TEMP, BULBS) still work ? of I need to disconnect them?

If anyone can tell me more about this item it will be great

Thanks

uri

Yep, I have fitted one.

ed93693f2bd11b1ad4836e90e974a3dc71b18dcc.jpg

You can fit the unit without cutting into the loom but you will need two sets of six way Hitachi type connectors so that the RX2n loom mates up with the OE unit.
You will also need a couple of resistors to mimic the bulb for the indicator warning light.
You will also need to provide power to the unit so a line fuse would be a good idea.

Digital speedo's also sell a unit that fits onto the OE speedo drive and (IMHO) is a worthwhile investment.

As you are using the loom connectors that normally feed the instruments and warning lights to feed the Koso then no, they won't work.
To power the water temperature indicator and low fuel warning light you can remove the terminals from the OE pod terminal block and insert into the correct position on the Koso blocks to regain the function.
I took the opportunity to modify the pod facia to fit water and oil pressure indicators + the low fuel warning light.

Digital Speedo's will provide fitting instructions with the unit and I know that Jon will always try to assist with any issues you may have.

Yep, I have fitted one.

ed93693f2bd11b1ad4836e90e974a3dc71b18dcc.jpg

You can fit the unit without cutting into the loom but you will need two sets of six way Hitachi type connectors so that the RX2n loom mates up with the OE unit.
You will also need a couple of resistors to mimic the bulb for the indicator warning light.
You will also need to provide power to the unit so a line fuse would be a good idea.

Digital speedo's also sell a unit that fits onto the OE speedo drive and (IMHO) is a worthwhile investment.

As you are using the loom connectors that normally feed the instruments and warning lights to feed the Koso then no, they won't work.
To power the water temperature indicator and low fuel warning light you can remove the terminals from the OE pod terminal block and insert into the correct position on the Koso blocks to regain the function.
I took the opportunity to modify the pod facia to fit water and oil pressure indicators + the low fuel warning light.

Digital Speedo's will provide fitting instructions with the unit and I know that Jon will always try to assist with any issues you may have.

Steve, do you have a picture of these connectors?

Thanks G

Steve, do you have a picture of these connectors?G

Here y'go - note that the 6 way jobbies on the loom, one pair is Red the other Black.

connectors.JPG

Hreat looking set up, How much of a nightmare to wire it all up?

Not wishing to sound sarcastic but, to a certain extent, that would depend on the individual doing the work.

My approach was to study the Max and Koso looms, study it some more and when I had done that had another look so that I had it strait in my head what needed to be done.
I then concentrated on getting one function at a time working (e.g. the indicators) and didn't move on until that element was working as expected.
Whilst I did have a few issues (can't recall the detail) all were resolved easily.

In my first fit I was using OE coils and the grey tacho wire worked the Koso's tach fine.
I did have an issue when I switched to KoP's whereby the tacho would intermittently double read for a few seconds, sometimes longer.

This was overcome by fitting the Koso's RPM sensor, table tied to a CoP BUT with the removable part of the clip that can be used to go over a coil wire removed. The unit would not work the tacho with that part on, nor with it clipped to either the feed or return coil wires.

Related question -- what do you do about the odometer? Can you set the new unit to the mileage on the original? If not, are there legal issues about selling the bike with an inaccurate odometer?

Been eyeing one of these up for a while, my only issue, is it waterproof?

Related question -- what do you do about the odometer?
Can you set the new unit to the mileage on the original?
Yes - but that wouldn't prove how many miles the bike had done when changed as you can enter any value.
If not, are there legal issues about selling the bike with an inaccurate odometer?
Not a lawyer but I would keep the original speed or at least have a dated digital photo to prove what the mileage was at the change.
I would have thought that provided you did not try to mislead any purchaser over the mileage then there shouldn't be any issue.

Been eyeing one of these up for a while, my only issue, is it waterproof?

Can't answer that as a) Mine is behind a fly screen and b) I don't ride in the rain!

On my RX, there was not way to count up the odometer but if you have the digital pickup for the speedo, you could theoretically add five magnets in the rotor bolt bolt holes and you could run your speedo/ odo 5 times faster to get to your existing mileage. I just saved my old speedo for any kind of documention and started the KOSO odometer from its factory zero miles. Of course all states are probably different and some might say odometer is "inaccurate" or tampered or something like that.

Last edited:
We have done that for a few customers and can sell you the gauge(s) or just the sending unit and let you get your own gauge. Find the Morleys Muscle Facebook page and look for the gauges photo album as well as fuel gauge album.

Back