Drag racing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bciuc

Reaction score
im looking at putting some money in max for drag racing, but want to keep on the street. iwas wondering about vgas, supercharger&holley or wild bros. has a cool looking EFI, which i could spray nos,im leaning to nos becuse i got access to it cheap. Any suggestions? i saw pic of lankee yankee bike, does anyone know his quarter mile times with nos, im looking to get it to low 9s, everyone around me drags cars, im the only biker, id love to put it in there face with my $2800 95 max. thanks eric

A low 9 second bike is what I'm shooting for as well... I already have nitrous on my 02 and I am no drag racer by any means, but the best I have done on a 40 shot was 10.7 at 130mph. I also weigh about 235 with gear on, so I'm not light and our altitude is about 700 ft. If I could learn how to launch better a 10.5 is very possible. I'm in the process of building an 85 Vmax for the strip (and maybe try to keep it streetable, but it isn't looking good. I'll be reducing the size of the gas tank, taking about everything that isn't "needed" off and strutting the rear. I'm also trying to loose a little weight myself, but I'm having a few arch problems and I'm not able to run as much as I had hoped. I did get 25 miles in last week, not bad for my first week back, but my foot doesn't think so. The VGas makes some HP, but it also sucks some fuel! Do a little searching on this forum about VGas and mpg and I think you will be shocked.

All it takes is time and $$

im looking at putting some money in max for drag racing, but want to keep on the street. iwas wondering about vgas, supercharger&holley or wild bros. has a cool looking EFI, which i could spray nos,im leaning to nos becuse i got access to it cheap. Any suggestions? i saw pic of lankee yankee bike, does anyone know his quarter mile times with nos, im looking to get it to low 9s, everyone around me drags cars, im the only biker, id love to put it in there face with my $2800 95 max. thanks eric

Low 9's on a street legal VMAX with a 2800.00 VMAX:rofl_200: Not even going to get involved in this thread..... Shoot for something more reasonable such as low 10's
Not saying it cant be done, but your looking at 10K+ to even get close to mid 9's on a street VMAX

PCW BIGBORE
Carrilo Rods
3500.00 into Port Polish
List goes on and on.....................................

depending on how serious you want to get I have an engine that will get you there and more. But, doing one that will get you to that level is not cheap. I'd take $7500 for the engine I have (with carbs, Nos, and extra's) and another $2000 for the rolling chassis. Put it all together and get some cosmetic stuff and you will run in the 8's. Engine last ran 8.30 @ 160 and had room to go.

Sean

Not to get confused, $2800 for the bike, I dont mind putting some cash into to get low 9s

great hobby i guess if you like that kind of thing...is it the attraction to do it on a vmax or just do it on any bike

great hobby i guess if you like that kind of thing...is it the attraction to do it on a vmax or just do it on any bike

Well, its when you have to much money and you dont know how to get rid of it. You know its bothering you seeing that money sit in the bank and you try and think of a way to spend it quickly as possible, maybe a night with 10 hookers in the presidents suite on top of the Hilton,, than it hits you.............. Yeah build a dragbike but make it a VMAX this way it wont ever be fast enough so I will always spend money on it either trying to make it run faster or fixing the rods hanging out of the block........

Dang Lankee, you need to quit beating that dead horse... we all know the VMax isn't the best drag bike out there. But if everyone had an old GSXR or Kawasaik the races would be pretty boring. Look at the variation of cars at the strip... not all of them are Mustang fox bodies, or Camaros... there are wagons, trucks, front wheel drives,.... It is fun to try and make an old heavy machine go fast. And, I'll bet that almost any drag racer you talk to will never say their machine is "fast enough" so why would the Vmax be any different. Drag racing can be a very expensive hobby, but look hoe much people spend on getting their cars to low 9 seconds... I bet it's more than $10K.

Plus... what ever happed to your quote, "I'm not even going to get involved in this thread"????? You have once again turned a thread into something bad.... it now involves 10 hookers and shooting down someone's dreams.... usually something that has 10 hookers is a dream come true, but you have gone and screwed that up!!!

DAMN YOU LANKEE!!!!!!

:argue 1::baby:
Dang Lankee, you need to quit beating that dead horse... we all know the VMax isn't the best drag bike out there. But if everyone had an old GSXR or Kawasaik the races would be pretty boring. Look at the variation of cars at the strip... not all of them are Mustang fox bodies, or Camaros... there are wagons, trucks, front wheel drives,.... It is fun to try and make an old heavy machine go fast. And, I'll bet that almost any drag racer you talk to will never say their machine is "fast enough" so why would the Vmax be any different. Drag racing can be a very expensive hobby, but look hoe much people spend on getting their cars to low 9 seconds... I bet it's more than $10K.

Plus... what ever happed to your quote, "I'm not even going to get involved in this thread"????? You have once again turned a thread into something bad.... it now involves 10 hookers and shooting down someone's dreams.... usually something that has 10 hookers is a dream come true, but you have gone and screwed that up!!!

DAMN YOU LANKEE!!!!!!
:tantrum:

Well, I figured since this thread hasnt gotten much attention I would bring reality and break up this pipe dreaming topic.
Admit it, this kid is asking to run low 9's on a street VMAX, thats like asking to turn a tart cart school bus into a granprix racer at Laguna Seca.
I offer advice and help many here Jeff, its obvious you cant seperate solid advice with a homurious opinion.
Focus on riding your VMAX to its max before you try and build a dragbike, baby steps as Bob would say.

Well, its when you have to much money and you dont know how to get rid of it. You know its bothering you seeing that money sit in the bank and you try and think of a way to spend it quickly as possible, maybe a night with 10 hookers in the presidents suite on top of the Hilton,, than it hits you.............. Yeah build a dragbike but make it a VMAX this way it wont ever be fast enough so I will always spend money on it either trying to make it run faster or fixing the rods hanging out of the block........

Hmm and you spent $25k on a progas (9.90 for the noobs) bike? lol.

Up here, Steve (Darby's performance machine) on a late 80's Gixxer, with cam, carbs, and a pipe was running mid 9's on a late 80's gsxr1100 that was still totally streetable. did it all for under $14000 including the price of the new bike.

I've payed more then $30k for my chopper, but ended up not liking it cause I didn't build it. My turbo/N2O dragbike another 30, I liked it, down sub 8's high 7's it was my baby but again I didn't build it. My 9 sec XS1100, I loved it, cause I built it.

Its not a matter of how fast it goes, its a matter of how fast I got it to go. If ppl , want to build a Vmax? a XS, KZ, GPZ it dosn't matter. just as long as they build it. thats what makes it thier own.

Its not a matter of how fast it goes, its a matter of how fast I got it to go.

DING DING DING DING DING DING !!!!!!

Now that there is a true Drag Racer Quote!

:punk::punk::punk:

I grew up on the race track as my father ran Pro-Stock at New England Dragway.
And there is one thing I learned from my dad and all his buddies. Half the fun and rewards of drag racing is building, maintaining, and improving your machine with your own two hands.
Anything else and your just a driver!

Hmm and you spent $25k on a progas (9.90 for the noobs) bike? lol.

Up here, Steve (Darby's performance machine) on a late 80's Gixxer, with cam, carbs, and a pipe was running mid 9's on a late 80's gsxr1100 that was still totally streetable. did it all for under $14000 including the price of the new bike.

I've payed more then $30k for my chopper, but ended up not liking it cause I didn't build it. My turbo/N2O dragbike another 30, I liked it, down sub 8's high 7's it was my baby but again I didn't build it. My 9 sec XS1100, I loved it, cause I built it.

Its not a matter of how fast it goes, its a matter of how fast I got it to go. If ppl , want to build a Vmax? a XS, KZ, GPZ it dosn't matter. just as long as they build it. thats what makes it thier own.

Ok KJ

First off, when I raced pro with the IDBA (International Drag Bike Assacation) the classes ran as the following, Top Gas 8.20 Super Comp 8.60 Pro Gas 9.20 Super Gas 9.90. Now that we got that straightened out.
I ran 2 classes, super gas and pro gas depending on what track I was racing at. My Small tire GSXR 1127 was capable of running 9.0's at 148 MPH in cool weather and on a track that was prepped well 60 times 1.25's if i remember correctly.
I had thousands of dollars alone in digital timers, down track throttle controls auto shift, line lock etc. I am sure you are really confused now so I will wont go into anymore detail on the technoligy I used while bracket racing in the early 90's
My fiberglass body work from erotech alone cost close 2K not counting a custom tri color pearl paint job.
I built a bracket racing dragbike to win money. I wrote all my expenses off, it was considered a small buisness, rather than question me I think it would be wise to ask questions. Did you know you can write all these expenses off when building a dragbike, if you keep track of your entry fees, and if you win enough money you get W2's from the track on your winnings?
Please dont question me or make me look like a fool when it comes to drag racing or doubt my credibilty, You can sit back down in the back of the classroom until called on again....:clapping:

As far as the IDBA, I'm fully aware of them, (racing number #pro 967)

I was also shocked when they gave away a "pro" licence without a physical, or having to prove your knowlege of the bike or make a single pass. unlike other orgs, requirements for a pro lisense, just pay the $50 for the "motorcycle performance" magazine and the membership fees. hmm ever wonder why idbaracing.com aint up anymore?

I don't doubt your claims as a racer cause I haven't seen them. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. but it's your comments on who wants to spend what on what hobby is only the options for the bike owner.

hell I've spent enough on my chopper to have payed for a new truck, my XS I've spent well into the $18k to get it in the 9's.

Point is, if the ppl want to spend the money, by all beings, let them. who cares. it aint your cash is it?

as far as writing off racing expences, yup, you can. and I have. as far as makeing you look like a fool? I didn't realize I did that. either way, if ppl want to spend the cash to make a bike of thier own, more power to them. my only wish is , don't compensate lack of expirence with HP, that how you get hurt.

It will take a crap ass load of money to get a Vmax in near street trim to get low 9's. I watched a 1570 chaindrive longrod engine (making 200+ rwhp) not even break into the 10's. Though he was an experienced rider I figure there was more left in the bike. I also watched a turbo vmax making over 300rwhp only get to 9.44 on a slick (no bar but way stretched out). It didn't help that the bike was pulling a 300+ lb rider down the track.

I must agree that it is going to be incredibly expensive to make it happen. That doesn't mean it won't be fun,

Sean

I fully agree Sean and yes I see your point KJ..... I guess its like the nerds on the scooter forum spending thousands of dollars on there scooters to go from 52 MPH to 70MPH, buying big bore kits ceramic cylinders, 4 valve heads, and the list goes on and on, when they could buy a Honda Rebel for 2K and go 80MPH LOL!
I will agree nothing is more fun than building a bike down to every nut and bolt in detail that you decide on. Its not cheap, but its a sense of pride more than anything, Thats why we all ride our VMAX's proud of the legend.. Thanks for shedding it in a different light for me KJ..:cheers:

I built a bracket racing dragbike to win money. I wrote all my expenses off, it was considered a small buisness

Just a little word of caution here: If you're going into motorcycle drag racing with the intention of making it a small business, that's fine. Your mind is prepared for the ups and downs associated with owning/operating a small business.
But if you race as a hobby and you think you see an opportunity to make some extra coin and have the government pick up the tab on some high priced upgrades for your bike (through profit/loss manipulation), be careful. There's a good chance you won't make any money, you prolly won't get your high priced upgrades and you've totally ruined your beloved hobby.
JMO, based on a little experience.

Just a little word of caution here: If you're going into motorcycle drag racing with the intention of making it a small business, that's fine. Your mind is prepared for the ups and downs associated with owning/operating a small business.
But if you race as a hobby and you think you see an opportunity to make some extra coin and have the government pick up the tab on some high priced upgrades for your bike (through profit/loss manipulation), be careful. There's a good chance you won't make any money, you prolly won't get your high priced upgrades and you've totally ruined your beloved hobby.
JMO, based on a little experience.

You can show a loss for 3 yrs I believe. It was a help along with co-sponsorships. We all know that racers are poor one weekend and crazy rich another weekend. Ups and downs of racing.. When your on a winning streak no one is your friend, when your in a losing slump they want to be your friend.

Ok KJ

First off, when I raced pro with the IDBA (International Drag Bike Assacation) the classes ran as the following, Top Gas 8.20 Super Comp 8.60 Pro Gas 9.20 Super Gas 9.90. Now that we got that straightened out.
I ran 2 classes, super gas and pro gas depending on what track I was racing at. My Small tire GSXR 1127 was capable of running 9.0's at 148 MPH in cool weather and on a track that was prepped well 60 times 1.25's if i remember correctly.
I had thousands of dollars alone in digital timers, down track throttle controls auto shift, line lock etc. I am sure you are really confused now so I will wont go into anymore detail on the technoligy I used while bracket racing in the early 90's
My fiberglass body work from erotech alone cost close 2K not counting a custom tri color pearl paint job.
I built a bracket racing dragbike to win money. I wrote all my expenses off, it was considered a small buisness, rather than question me I think it would be wise to ask questions. Did you know you can write all these expenses off when building a dragbike, if you keep track of your entry fees, and if you win enough money you get W2's from the track on your winnings?
Please dont question me or make me look like a fool when it comes to drag racing or doubt my credibilty, You can sit back down in the back of the classroom until called on again....:clapping:
All I can say to that is:: OUUUUUCHHH.:punk: You did it again. (keep `em comin`)

Back