Drag slicks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one that Morley lent me has an old Firestone 6.00/26-15 on it. Hooks like a Mo-Fo! I used to think the street tire would hook well at the track at 15-20psi, but there is a night and day difference.... I would just bog with the slick on it... I needed to bring my launch RPMs up a lot more with this tire and slip the clutch more.... I need a LOT more practice.

The Firestone has about 5.5" of flat cross section and the tire is probably a hair over 6" at the widest point.

I have been looking at getting a new slick for it and found a few options:

Phoenix and M&H both make 6/26-15 which should work without modding the swing arm, but you will still need to mod the rim and add sheet metal screws as previously discussed. I also saw a tire on eBay that I wanted to try, it is for the front wheel on a car, but could this be a way for us to use a "DOT" tire at the strip?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/26X6...002QQitemZ120234180417QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Your talking about a front runner which the rubber compound is different and doesnt get soft and tacky when heated they are used on the front for steer tires I dont think this tire would be good for the rear

Ok since many are confused with the size 26-6-15 Yes it lays a patch 6 inches wide Ok this is great and yes 6 inches wont rub the swingarm

This is the key information your going to need I dont care if its a M&H Hoosier Phoneix Good Year Or any Joe Smoh slick that is the foot print

Key here is Section Width: 8.5"

I have been down this road with car slicks I have researched different brands YOU HAVE TO CHOP YOUR SWINGARM no way around it UNLESS you run a 7.0 Motorcycle slick made by goodyear in an 18in

Leave it at that

Yankee... I'm not understanding you... please explain the "section width"? My Firestone/Phoenix 6/26-15 fits just fine w/out cutting the swingarm? The tire works great, so please explain.... pardon my ignorance.

Jeff

Ok since many are confused with the size 26-6-15 Yes it lays a patch 6 inches wide Ok this is great and yes 6 inches wont rub the swingarm

This is the key information your going to need I dont care if its a M&H Hoosier Phoneix Good Year Or any Joe Smoh slick that is the foot print

Key here is Section Width: 8.5"

I have been down this road with car slicks I have researched different brands YOU HAVE TO CHOP YOUR SWINGARM no way around it UNLESS you run a 7.0 Motorcycle slick made by goodyear in an 18in

Leave it at that

I'm not confused about anything regarding the different tire sizes...that's not the issue. I was merely asking you to clarify what tire you were actually using based on your posts, because in your post #2 in thie thread, you directly stated that you were using a 25/6/15, but in your later post when you added the M&H link, you then directly stated that you used a 26/6/15..... ??????????? I didn't know which one you meant.....that's all.

As I told you in my following posts that I figured out what you were saying based on the link you provided to M&H, so there was no need to explain further, as I figured you made a typing mistake by saying 25" instead of 26". No big deal here..........

Also, I fully understand what cross-section is and have been speaking of it since my first post here, so there is no need to yellwhen trying to get your point across.....I already understood it quite clearly on my own.

Lastly, the 26.0"/6.0"/15.0" Phoenix tire and the 26.0"/6.0"/15.0" M&H tire obviously do *NOT* have the same cross-section width, even though they are the same size, because you state that the M&H tire requires extensive swing arm modifications to make it fit, while two other guys here (one is a VMAX guru) state the Phoenix tire of the very same size does not require any mods to the swingarm to fit at all. All tires are not created equally across different brands..

I don't question either one of you, because both have used their respective tires for themselves to know for sure, but I do think there is a major difference between tires regarding cross-section width, when one has to have mods done to the bike to make it work and the other doesn't.

Like I said, I'm going to call Phoenix tomorrow to get the actual tire specifications form them so I'll know for 100% certain whether or not their tire (26/6/15) will fit the stock swingarm without modifications.

I'll post up the info for ya after I speak with them if it will help. :)

Yankee... I'm not understanding you... please explain the "section width"? My Firestone/Phoenix 6/26-15 fits just fine w/out cutting the swingarm? The tire works great, so please explain.... pardon my ignorance.

Jeff

The cross-section width is the widest area of the tire when it's under bulge from the weight of the vehicle, at the correct operating pressure. The contact patch or "foot-print" is the actual area of the tire that is in contact with the pavement.

To put it into perspective~ A typical soft walled drag slick will have a wider cross-section -AND- contact patch when at rest, but as wheel speed increases, both will narrow a bit due to centrifugal force acting on the carcass of the tire. That's why most drag slicks are rated in the compound that they're manufactured with, so users can gauge how soft they are and how much they will grow at speed, so they can choose the right tire for their application more accurately.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks John... understand now.... From what I have read, Phoenix purchased the tire molds from Firestone so they shold be the same tires. If you are looking at buying one, let me know... I read somewhere that you may have to buy the tires in pairs... if that is the case with Phoenix, maybe they can ship individual tires to separate addresses. Let me know if that is true and maybe I'll buy the other one.

Thanks again for the info.

Jeff

Ok I am sorry if you got offended with my way of trying to get my point to the imortant information regarding tire size
So in that case I will tread lightly and speak to you as you are a 3 yr old lil girl

Is this color soft enough for you ok I found a softer one ohh but hang on this may be to large and you may get your feelings hurt

ok here we go hmmm
With the M&H tire I am running 2526-6-15 the one I posted a link in the previous post
If you have my 1998 Yamaha VMAX and you already modified your wheel you will have to notch your inner left side of the swingarm due to the sidewall will rub really bad
I hope this information regarding the M&H slick mounted on a modified stock VMAX wheel helps and most of all your blood pressure has dropped from the larger font

OK Yankee.

I have personally run the Firestone with all kinds of room on the swingarm. If you've never run that one don't try and tell others what will and will not work - just tell of your experience with your setup. Jeff has also run that same setup on his chassis with no problems too.

Sooooo,

If the Phoenix is the same setup you will have more then enough room. Mod the wheel, mount the tire and hold on. Even though the contact patch may be slightly smaller that tire will hook under the power of even 1500cc engines with NO problems. You don't even have to run it with low tire pressure which works out great for big end stability.

John, I'm sure we can work out something on the tire swap.

Sean Morley

Ok I am sorry if you got offended with my way of trying to get my point to the imortant information regarding tire size
So in that case I will tread lightly and speak to you as you are a 3 yr old lil girl

Is this color soft enough for you ok I found a softer one ohh but hang on this may be to large and you may get your feelings hurt

ok here we go hmmm
With the M&H tire I am running 2526-6-15 the one I posted a link in the previous post
If you have my 1998 Yamaha VMAX and you already modified your wheel you will have to notch your inner left side of the swingarm due to the sidewall will rub really bad
I hope this information regarding the M&H slick mounted on a modified stock VMAX wheel helps and most of all your blood pressure has dropped from the larger font

Just when I think you couldn't possibly be a bigger ass than you've been in some of these posts...you prove me wrong and raise the bar for yourself once again- you should be proud of yourself nice touch...:icon_rolleyes:

Now you state that you're running a 25 AND 26 /6/15 tire????????? What...you run both on the same bike- a 2526/6/15 ??????? :icon_rolleyes: :rofl_200:

Just forget I even asked you anything, as you've been of no help for anyone with your attitude and condescending insulting.. I was merely trying to find out information on what works for a drag tire where I didn't have to modify the swingarm to run it and trying to carry a civil online conversation to get that info. I see you're not capable of that, so please disregard everything I ever asked of you and don't bother giving any of us your inaccurate information anymore- especially for tires (Phoenix) you've never ran before.

Sean~
After I call Phoenix today, I'll post up the tire spec information for you and others and when I get this tire demaounted, I'll send it your way. :) Based on yours and hubeerjw's accurate info on the Phoenix tire's fitment without hacking the swingarm, it looks like I'll be using that tire for my bike too. Thanks for the help and have a great day!

No problem. I've got one more Firestone slick on hand if I decide to ever mount another one up.

Sean

OK... Here's the information I received from Phoenix, via Coker Tire- who is a major distributor for the Phoenix brand of racing slick. They were *VERY* helpful in providing me the info I needed without any sales pressure. They have excellent service! If you call there, ask for Carol and she will take care of you and they have all of these tires in stock ready for shipment. :)

Phoenix Drag Slick~

Part Number: #PH-364 26-6-15
Size: 26.0"/6.0"/15.0"
Tread Width: 5.6"
Section Width: 6.7"
Diameter: 25.8"
Circumfrence: 81.0"
Rim Width Requirement: 6.0"
$170.00 @ Coker Tire or through dragracetires.com, which I think Coker owns also. http://www.dragracetires.com/product.php?productid=97

Part Number: #PH-366 26-6-15W
Size: 26.0"/6.0"/15.0"
Tread Width: 7.0"
Section Width: 9.0"
Diameter: 25.8"
Circumfrence: 81.0"
Rim Width Requirement: 6.0"
$174.00 Same as above. http://www.dragracetires.com/product.php?productid=98

Now that I know this, I can clearly see why Sean states that these tires will fit directly into the VMAX swingarm, due to the narrower section width of 6.7" vs. 8.5" of the M&H. My currnt Bridgestone tire is just over 6" wide and it just clears the swingarm by approx. a 1/4" or so- which is good.

I think I'll order a direct-fit (into the swingarm) Pheonix Slick and they can be purchased individually.

Hope that helps everyone who's interested! ;)

As I stated in my first post

Get the exact width of the tire (Cross section) if its any wider than a 8.0 your beat with a stock swingarm.
Even better get a tape measure and measure the inner width of your swingarm and compare it to the cross section of the slicks you are looking at.

I am running a M&H Car slick 25-6-15 and it measures 8.3 in wide.

This is very simple as I stated measure your inner swingarm. Next goto the tire site and get the cross section width. Compare.
I have never stated I was running other slicks, I gave my comments on the M&H slick and my expierence with it. Sorry if I was off one inch 25-26 as I stated its been many years ago when I mounted it.
But I think the next route will be the Phoenix Tire, Thanks for sharing the info.

I've got an 18"x6" Kossman with an 8", very low profile Goodyear Eagle slick, it's been in storage for almost 20 years. Clearance issues were fixed by a thick washer that spaces the wheel away from the shaft. The wheel is off center but you can't tell except it turns left a bit better than right. I also had to re-drill and shift the fender to the right. 100% hookup, no exceptions.

Latest posts

Back