electrical issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
guys, I'm on a road trip through central america with 2 vmaxs (one is a 2005 the other a 2006). the 2006 bike is having the following problem, intermittently. With transmission in neutral we turn the key to the on position and no lights come on. Not the neutral light nor the headlight (as they normally would). We found that rocking the bike back and forth tends to clear the issue. Sometimes, when the headlight and the neutral light do come on normally, pressing the start button shuts the whole circuit down again. Any ideas on what could cause this? thanks

Clean the kill switch. Also check the plug into the ignition switch. Check for near-severed wires too at these.

guys, I'm on a road trip through central america with 2 vmaxs (one is a 2005 the other a 2006). the 2006 bike is having the following problem, intermittently. With transmission in neutral we turn the key to the on position and no lights come on. Not the neutral light nor the headlight (as they normally would). We found that rocking the bike back and forth tends to clear the issue. Sometimes, when the headlight and the neutral light do come on normally, pressing the start button shuts the whole circuit down again. Any ideas on what could cause this? thanks

Check the kick stand switch for lose wiring.

thanks guys. I thought about a bad main switch, or a bad kill switch or a bad kickstand switch, but the part I can't understand is why pressing the start switch (gently without disturbing the bike) kills the circuit...

I would say that the start button is sticking in just a little bit. See if pulling it OUT with your fingernail from below makes it all come back on again. If so then simply clean that switch with some spray lube and you're in business. This is actually a very common issue.

I had something like this last year at the beach. it turn out to be a short at the kick stand switch.

Also check your main fuse - not making good contact in the socket.

Check battery make sure they are tight wiring.

Back