Engine touch up paint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to touch the paint on my vmax engine. What is the best paint and where can I get some for this project? I need both the flat black for upper heads and the high gloss Black for the lower case. I have very little experience with painting. Also what is the correct procedure for prepping the surface to be painted? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :ummm:

Richwrench used DupliColor Engine Enamel with good luck. He said that masking the engine was a tremendous undertaking compared to painting it....

Good Luck,
Dave

I used G5 high temp paint it comes in all colors. I brushed it on it says it is self leveling & it worked pretty good for me. I got it on ebay.

^ Great suggestion. Brush it on vs spraying. Hell even if you do get the spray just spray it into a cup and brush it on using a foam brush.

I used G5 high temp paint it comes in all colors. I brushed it on it says it is self leveling & it worked pretty good for me. I got it on ebay.

Can't find anything under "G5", lots under "G2" though. Is that it?

Or real, your suggesting brush on paint application! It is no where near April first. How picky are you Bro? Is masked off painting gonna be "good enough" for you? Personally, I would be taking it apart if possible. Owning two 1985s, I know what a motor can look after some years. My 1990 looks like it was sprayed with thinned out watercolors from the factory. If you ride enough, everybody gets the front lower sections of their motor paint sandblasted off all the way up to the water pump elbow. Can I have an amen!
If you don't sand these areas, it looks like sh!t when sprayed over. I have used Rustoleum's Industrial Enamel rattle cans. It goes on thick enough in two coats and retains it's gloss. There is a matching clear for it but it makes it look thick and unlike the original. How Yamaha ever sprayed these motors so thin yet had good coverage is beyond me. I have seen some motors that look like the painter missed and got poor coverage in those deeply reccessed areas. Do you have and spare parts you can practice on? By the way, flat black has got to be the easiest most forgiving color to apply. Do decent prep with prep solv or thinner/ reducer and you can't miss!

I had found the G5 paint on E-bay it was a two part epoxy if I remember right. It was a kit you can buy for about $45.00. it sounds good for what I need it for. There is not a lot to touch up. It's the price that gets me thinking there must be something out there just as good but less expensive. As far as the flat black it's coming off the cylinder head due to a leaky hose that I had to fix. Antifreeze just seems to eat the stock paint right off.

Glad you found I think I got it from pace performance in Ohio I touched mine up with it 2 years ago & honestly it held up great & matched really well. Try that pace performance place in Ohio's website to check there price.

Back