Equalizing Vacuum

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: equalizing vacumn

About a year ago something simular to this thread went around another forum I'm on , http://www.bigbikeworld.com.
It was a machined block with an air control knob and lots of cute red tubing. A few guys bought it said it helped the off idle throttle. And it just died, no one else wanted to spent the $100 or so. And there has not been a word since.
At least this one is cheap and easy to do.:biglaugh:

PS: After a moment of reasearch it was called a " Flo-comander"

http://www.flo-commander.com/

well i did the deed today.

bike definately starts faster!!

off idle response also improved.

i vote b

cost me 1.65:rofl_200:

About a year ago something simular to this thread went around another forum I'm on , http://www.bigbikeworld.com.
It was a machined block with an air control knob and lots of cute red tubing. A few guys bought it said it helped the off idle throttle. And it just died, no one else wanted to spent the $100 or so. And there has not been a word since.
At least this one is cheap and easy to do.:biglaugh:

PS: After a moment of reasearch it was called a " Flo-comander"

http://www.flo-commander.com/
If anyone wanted to go that far : I was in a tropical fish store today and I saw a 4 & 5 tube connector set with Indivual adjustment valves.
I started to think and then decided against it It sounded like too much for me but thats where you can find a setup like that if you want to go that way.
<<Dave>>:punk:

I put a couple oz of seafoam in the tank, filled it up, ran a couple errands, then decided to do a 'after vacuum mod' mileage run.

It wasn't a true mileage run because of the errands involving a couple stops and some 'in-town' crawling but most of the miles were at 60 - 65 on a 4 lane divided.

In total I covered 84.3 miles and it took 1.944 gal. to top it off. That works out to 43.4 mpg! The bike rarely gets that kind of mileage, if ever, sometimes 40 but usually 36 - 38.

I have been doing little things to this bike like the COP mod, 177.5 PAJ2's, Marving slip-ons and the vacuum thing.

I don't have the slightest idea how these things affected the mileage as I haven't been doing extensive testing at each stage but I think it's fair to conclude that the vacuum equalization mod certainly didn't hurt performance....just the opposite.

I had a quick go at doing it at the weekend. I didn't notice any difference in starting or idle, and the hose I got was too fat making it impossible to replace the carb covers, so I took it off again.

I may have another try if I can find thinner/more flexible vac hose.

I had a quick go at doing it at the weekend. I didn't notice any difference in starting or idle, and the hose I got was too fat making it impossible to replace the carb covers, so I took it off again.

I may have another try if I can find thinner/more flexible vac hose.
Hey "G",
You did the same thing that I did/mistake.
I went to lowe`s and got some hose thats the same size as the oem vacume hose (the clear stuff) and then to pep boys for the "T`s" (they have packages with the same size t`s in them 2 ea.) and tried it again and, it works pretty good.:clapping:
I took it on the freeway today and the high gear pickup and pull is really good and and she pulls onto the freeway like mad (my front end is lowered 2 3/4 in. at the triple tree and it lifted up so, I can attest that there is a difference and when the v-boost kicks in, it`s hairy scary at 100 mph. fun all over again so, get some smaller tubing and try it again.:eusa_dance::eusa_dance:
<<Dave>>P.S. Home depot or even your local hardware store should have the hose you need.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this mod....it sounds like a great idea, BUT.... If yamaha put it on the seca and maxim (YICS), why didn't they do it on the VMAX???

I THINK YAMAHA FIGURED , THAT WHEN THE V-MAX WENT INTO HEAD SHAKE , THAT THE VACUUM LINES WOULD FALL OFF & IF YOU SURVIVED THE HEAD SHAKE , THE BIKE WOULDN'T IDLE WITH ALL 4 CARBS HAVING SMALL VACUUM LEAKS & THE IGNITION TIMING RETARDED ! AND THATS WHY THEY DIDN'T PUT IT ON "LOL":rofl_200:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'D LOVE TO TRY IT , BUT MY MAX IS RUNNING SO GOOD . I'M SCARED TO TOUCH IT !:confused2:

Well all I know is that my bike is running stronger and faster than it ever has since I bought it 3 yrs. ago so, now I don`t want to mess with any more home made mods.

Hello,

I made the modification and the feeling got definitely better.
biglaugh.gif

Did not notice difference with starting, but the idle sound changed for little smoother. But the real thing was that now the bike feels to be stronger especially when accelerating easily until 3500-4000 rpm and then changing the gear. It kind of get into next level of speed - in different way than before. I let my friend to test it and he reported similar results without knowing my opinion.

But I'm not 100% sure the cause, as during the mod I found that there was a small crack in the original hose just nearby the vacuum controller box. This was repaired same time so part of the cause might be due to this.

But considering the smoother vacuum pulse control after the mod, it is possible to get positive results with this. Anyway, seems to be working fine here.
clapping.gif

Regards,

AT

everyone that has seen a big chg in idle and such, how was your idle before that??? did your bikes have issues and this seem to fix it or just make it better? My bike seems to start and idle just fine so hard to mess with it but guess there is always room for improvement ey.

Hello,

As I have the V-boost butterfly valves set to be all the time open, the idle is not as smooth as with normal set up. But this mod seemed to smoothen it at least some degree.

Regards,

AT

Some have tried this mod and posted a smoother idle?? I was thinking of trying it myself, but I might miss the nice lumpity idle I have now....sounds like a small block chevy with a race cam at idle. Others have stated better response on low end. I guess the best thing to do is give it a try!!

I'm wondering how it will work with mine since I run open Vboost and an ITAM vacuum advance module.

I went to Home Depot and advance and had to settle for 1/4 inch T barbs and 9/32 fuel line. We'll see if it works.

I'm wondering how it will work with mine since I run open Vboost and an ITAM vacuum advance module.

I went to Home Depot and advance and had to settle for 1/4 inch T barbs and 9/32 fuel line. We'll see if it works.
Hey Mark,
Thats what I did the first time with bad results so, I got the same size hose as the oem vacume hose from lowe`s for 16 cents a foot and then went to pep boys cause they sell that size "T" in packages of 2 ea. and got good results.
The bike has never run better the low and high end pull is amazing and, the idle smoothens out to a steady rumble jnstead of the lopeing idle.
Dave>>:punk:

Hey Mark,
Thats what I did the first time with bad results so, I got the same size hose as the oem vacume hose from lowe`s for 16 cents a foot and then went to pep boys cause they sell that size "T" in packages of 2 ea. and got good results.
The bike has never run better the low and high end pull is amazing and, the idle smoothens out to a steady rumble jnstead of the lopeing idle.
Dave>>:punk:

hey dave, what is the oem vac size?

hey dave, what is the oem vac size?
I don`t know right off hand , I took a piece of it with me to the store to match it up but I could measure it .It fits good and tight over the vacume nipples on the carbs so, no need for clamps on them I also want to take pics of how I connected them too and post them soon.
I ran them over the bowl drain hoses and then over the top of the carbs to the middle on each side and from the middle "T" to the vvacume sensor that way the covers would fit over the manifolds and the airbox fits right over them with no hang up.

I don`t know right off hand , I took a piece of it with me to the store to match it up but I could measure it .It fits good and tight over the vacume nipples on the carbs so, no need for clamps on them I also want to take pics of how I connected them too and post them soon.
I ran them over the bowl drain hoses and then over the top of the carbs to the middle on each side and from the middle "T" to the vvacume sensor that way the covers would fit over the manifolds and the airbox fits right over them with no hang up.

Same thing I did Dave....went to the auto parts, pulled a sync nipple plug off and brought it in.

I did the '06 the way you're describing and like it better, think I'll change the '99 to be the same...just a lot neater set-up.

I used 3/16" ( 4.8mm ) fuel/emission hose from Goodyear - perfect fit ! It's the same stuff I used when making my manometer. Tight, secure fit, but you don't have to force it, and no clamp needed.

Same thing I did Dave....went to the auto parts, pulled a sync nipple plug off and brought it in.

I did the '06 the way you're describing and like it better, think I'll change the '99 to be the same...just a lot neater set-up.
Yeah,
My first try at it was a mess (probably cause I didn`t want to take everything apart) but I paid for it in having to scrap everything and start over again.
Whats that they say ?? "the lazy man always works twice"
Oh well it works now.

Back