Exhaust mods

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimmie

Reaction score
I have done the mod of removing the rivets and drilling those holes out to 1/2". That sounds pretty good. Much better than stock. My question is has anyone done both mods together where you drill the 1" hole in the baffle as well. Sound wise, performance wise, how will it effect the bike? Louder exhaust wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Thanks, Shane

Ok I did the drive a sharp rod through the exhausts 1st and the drill the the rivets out and drill 5 holes into the end of it 2nd.Performance wise the 1st mod seemed like more power but that was a seat of the pants feeling and the 2nd mod was basically just to get more noise .I did not replace the cover plates and the noise was too much for me so I put the plates back on and used 10 mm spacers to hold the plates out I can handle that noise and the sound is a lot better.Others have used 1/2 inch spacers so experiment and the added bonus is that you can screw the plate back on for an almost stock sound.Cheers Kevman

Truly both these mods are for sound ONLY. When you make something louder it makes it seem faster. Your best bet is to either get some Super Trapps or buy a full system like Holeshot, Marks, or Kerker if you want a real gain.

The biggest issue with the stock system IMO is the weight. The back half of that exhaust weighs a ton.

I've heard with some of the exhausts you need to change the jets. Do you need to with the drilling the holes method? (I only did 3/8'' holes)

No jet changes needed unless you want to maximize the performance of the bike. Many full headers respond well with a jet kit installed at the same time (there are a few to pick from - some good - some not so good). The headers work fine also without the kit but not getting the full advantages.

Sean

Re: Exhaust mods/new exhaust

I ended up just ordering the Holeshot exhaust. I talked with Dale a couple of times about it and he's really a nice guy. I also ordered his stage 1 kit as well. He said that will really open things up and get it running good. Something I didn't know is that the stock pipes are double wall pipe. So even with slip-ons your not going to get the performace out of the stock pipes. Cutting some weight as well going this route. I figured I'd just by-pass the BS and get the full system. Guess I got to start working some more part-time:tantrum:

Latest posts

Back