explain this to me

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
i know tuning an exhaust is important but im not sure how this made such a huge difference.i went from a ufo quadzilla full exhaust to a kerker 4 into 1 which had the street baffle in it. i immediately noticed a bit better mid range than before but wasnt enough to write home about. fast forward 6 weeks when i recieved my comp baffle and put it in.

how in the hell can it go from being quick yet ho hum to being a fire breathing dragon that was awakened from its slumber? itll lift the front end off the ground just by twisting the throttle in 2nd gear now. before i had trouble lifting it in first gear while dumping the clutch.... that much difference simply from changing out a baffle. (same header and mid pipe from 6 weeks ago made by kerker)can someone explain to me how it made such a huge difference? as far as i know i have stock jetting and exhaust was only modification i know of thats been done to this bike.

It's all about the Flow.
engines are just air pumps. they need air in and it needs to get out.
I used to switch my baffle out . Street for rides when i knew we would be in town and out late. but the bike just didn't like it. the back pressure of the street baffle made it a hair quicker. But nothing like to comp baffle. Now when I sit at a light. they don't want to race me.
they just turn to see whats making the hair on the back of their neck stand up.

i know tuning an exhaust is important but im not sure how this made such a huge difference.i went from a ufo quadzilla full exhaust to a kerker 4 into 1 which had the street baffle in it. i immediately noticed a bit better mid range than before but wasnt enough to write home about. fast forward 6 weeks when i recieved my comp baffle and put it in.

how in the hell can it go from being quick yet ho hum to being a fire breathing dragon that was awakened from its slumber? itll lift the front end off the ground just by twisting the throttle in 2nd gear now. before i had trouble lifting it in first gear while dumping the clutch.... that much difference simply from changing out a baffle. (same header and mid pipe from 6 weeks ago made by kerker)can someone explain to me how it made such a huge difference? as far as i know i have stock jetting and exhaust was only modification i know of thats been done to this bike.

Hey, you should notice 10-12 RWHP with the Comp baffle installed on a Dyno. That much power you can feel when you are riding. Good choice on systems, Spurs:punk:

the baffle alone is known to cause increases of double digits? seriously? thats crazy. i always thought the baffles job was just to act like a muffler of sorts. didnt realize it was an actual part used to tune. i thought allt he tuning was done in the header and mid pipe

not my bike but heres the street baffle

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/vmaxman06/MY 06 VMAX/Vmax-Kerker007Medium.jpg
Vmax-Kerker007Medium.jpg

i just went out on the dock here at work and snapped a picture of the comp baffle with my camera phone. not real good light but i hope it helps

comp.jpg

I have pics somewhere but can't find them at the moment. The street baffle (that comes with the header when new) is 1.5" outlet. The Comp baffle is a 2.5" outlet. There is a 2" outlet available too but I rarely sell them.

The carbon fiber high flow mufflers we sell are a 2" core and seem to work well though not what i would call a cheap option.

Sean

I have a Kerker 4/1 as well with street baffle.

When you swapped out the baffle how much louder does it make it. They hear it 6 blocks away when I start my bike now. Would that increase to 8-10 blocks?

What did the comp baffle cost and how long did it take to put it in?

I have a Kerker 4/1 as well with street baffle.

When you swapped out the baffle how much louder does it make it. They hear it 6 blocks away when I start my bike now. Would that increase to 8-10 blocks?

What did the comp baffle cost and how long did it take to put it in?

It goes from"That's a pretty loud bike"........

To "Who the hell bought a sprint car?!?!?!?":clapping:

The Vmax and a Kerker with a comp baffle is the sweetest sounding bike I have EVER heard:punk:

above is very true. although at idle mine isnt loud at all, once i twist the throttle though thats a different story. took a whole 45 seconds to swap out the baffle and im pretty sure sean sells them for 100 bucks. they may be on back order again though so check with him.

They are $100 when purchased with the header and $120 when outright. As noted it's very easy to do. You can get a general idea by simply taking out your baffle completely (3 bolts). It will be a little louder then with it but you'll get the idea.

Sean

It goes from"That's a pretty loud bike"........

To "Who the hell bought a sprint car?!?!?!?":clapping:

The Vmax and a Kerker with a comp baffle is the sweetest sounding bike I have EVER heard:punk:
^^

^^^ amen brother.

sean's 120 is a good deal. kerker wants 145.
when mine was purchased in 92. it was only 37 bucks.(with header purchase)

if i had to, after feeling how the bike acts and hearing how it sounds now. i would have gladly paid the full price that kerker is asking. im still at awe how it can change everything so drastically. hell it doesnt even smell like its running super rich anymore /shrug it used to make my eyes water if there wasnt a breeze, while under my carport warming up in the morning. now it just smells slightly rich which is what id expect

if i had to, after feeling how the bike acts and hearing how it sounds now. i would have gladly paid the full price that kerker is asking. im still at awe how it can change everything so drastically. hell it doesnt even smell like its running super rich anymore /shrug it used to make my eyes water if there wasnt a breeze, while under my carport warming up in the morning. now it just smells slightly rich which is what id expect

Slowpoke.......

I am really curious as to your set up.....

Did the previous owner give any indication as to mods to go along with the UFO setup????

Still stock air filter???

I would LOVE a Kerker with a race baffle but my bike runs so well I am loath to mess with it....:confused2:

to the best of my knowledge everything was bone stock motor wise except the ufo exhaust and i do know it has a k&n air filter but the box doesnt look like its been modded. ( that being said this is my first vmax so i have nothing to compare it to.i just dont see any different colors in the box as if it had been trimmed anywhere.)

with the ufo exhaust i was REALLY thinking it had been rejetted and was jetted too rich. now im thinking its probably stock jets due to the smells and way its running with a different exhaust. unless its common to need to run richer jets than stock with the kerker /shrug im pretty sure they are stock though.

Its typically recommended to go down a size or two on the main jet for any aftermarket, full header on the vmax. But, you never know what the PO did. Do you still have the little brass covers over the AF screws? If so, chances are good they never touched the mains either.

no the brass plugs are gone but ive never opened the carbs up to see whats in there. mainly because ive never messed with stuff on a motorcycle other than chains and regular maintenance like fluid changes.

Back