Extended swing arm lighting and license plate

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shicks16

Reaction score
This is a question for everyone with extended swing arms, i am thinking about doing a 3 inch extended swing arm in the future and was curious what everyone is using for a tail light and license plate set up.

I fabed up a bracket that mounts on the right attaching to the caliper bolts. An LED bar shines down over the plate. Im gonna make a new one soon for the left side so I can show more of my chrome goodies on the right. As for brake lights I have a shortened fender with a flat mount built in so you can bolt many different styles of lights. I use the oval cat eyes from Ecatrep (sp) with LED bulbs. Should have a few pics in my garage you can see.
I may look for a new home for the plate holder I have now after I make a new one if interested.

Im running a side mount plate which isnt lit and i replaced the stock reflector with an led tailight from custom dynamics.

I am thinking something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-VMAX-License-Plate-Relocator-Bracket-Mount-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b6688b4dQQitemZ140499258189QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1735wt_1167

with mounting bolts with LEDs on them, it would be nice to get a bracket that had LEDs built in so i wouldn't have to rewire the lights every time i want to remove the plate. also my concern is that on the hi way the wind could break the bracket and i would lose my plate. Does anyone have experience with this?

i really like it too, only problem i am running into is that our plates here in Alberta are 5x8, which seems too big for the majority of the ones i am finding, i really like the custom dynamics frame with a light on it but once again i think its too small for our plates

I did something similar to this to mount my plate
DSC01433.JPG

DSC01429.JPG

I added an aluminum sheet that bolts to the brackets you see in the pics and it bends up under the fender. I cut the sheet to match the fender profile. Then mounted LEDs on it and put in a dual element circuit so it works as both a brake and tail light. Use some custom dynamics tag bolts to illuminate the plate. This pic is the mockup. I have since added a black frame and bolts.

so i have been doing a lot of surfing to try and find a good plate mount, problem is here in alberta the police can be real asses about side mounted plates, one of my buddies got a ticket last year for one. So i am thinking a lower profile mount for the fender, has anyone tried the plate and light combo motorcyclemods have, the link is below

http://www.motorcyclemods.com/

my hope is to get the extended swing arm and zrx shocks to give me that extra inch, hopefully this will be enough so clearance won't be a problem.

I had this setup before modifying my rear fender.it gives more clearance for sure and is a very nice looking light. These aren't the best pics but I think you'll get the clearance needed. One2dmax might have that exact light setup laying around as I just recently traded him mine. Good luck!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329593550938.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329593550938.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 39
  • uploadfromtaptalk1329593604988.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329593604988.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 34
Slightly closer pic I found. I had a feeling id be getting a new fender so I never removed the stock metal bracket so it doesn't look quite right with it still behind there but works nicely.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329594705813.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329594705813.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for all your help, i will talk to Sean and see if he still has it or something that is similar.

Thanks for all your help, i will talk to Sean and see if he still has it or something that is similar.

I'm doing the exact same mod as soon as we get some heat up here :biglaugh:. I have the same light still in the box waiting to be mounted. If you need some close ups of it let me know and I'll post them. There's a number of threads in the forum on this tail light.

Dale #2592

Back