Fan overide

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnaVMax

Reaction score
Just seeing if anyone could post a wiring diagram (very clear and easy to understand cause i'm piss poor at electronics). Preferably with real pictures.

I have a switch that is already installed near the ignition area. I just need hook up some wires cause they have been taken off. I just don't know what type of wires, how to hook them up, and where to hook them up to.

Basically a fan override switch for dummies tutorial! :eusa_dance:

I?ve made it on mine (so it?s simple 'cause I'm a "electrodumb"...) and goes just putting wires on the sensor that exists under the right scoop. When you take it out you'll see a manifold with this sensor and 2 wires. Just connect your switch between these 2 wires.

Sorry but my babe is "at the Doc"... no pics.

Remove the right side scoop, and the plastic cover over the coolant manifold(just slips off).

On the bottom of the manifold you'll see two brass plugs. A bigger one toward the front (with two wires) and a smaller one toward the back (one wire). The front one controls the fan (rear is for the temp gauge).

The plug is simply a thermostatic switch. It completes the circuit at a certain temp and sends juice to the fan motor. Use any automotive switch and wire it in parallel with the two wires going into the sensor. Meaning, use a blue quick-splice on both wires, and send both splices to the switch. When you turn the switch "on", you're just shorting the sensor out of the circuit and activating the fan.

This way even if you forget to turn the switch off, it will still turn the fan off with the ignition, since that kills power to the sensor(and thus your switch also). The thermo sensor will still function normally.

Very simple job, takes maybe 15 minutes.

Remove the right side scoop, and the plastic cover over the coolant manifold(just slips off).

On the bottom of the manifold you'll see two brass plugs. A bigger one toward the front (with two wires) and a smaller one toward the back (one wire). The front one controls the fan (rear is for the temp gauge).

The plug is simply a thermostatic switch. It completes the circuit at a certain temp and sends juice to the fan motor. Use any automotive switch and wire it in parallel with the two wires going into the sensor. Meaning, use a blue quick-splice on both wires, and send both splices to the switch. When you turn the switch "on", you're just shorting the sensor out of the circuit and activating the fan.

This way even if you forget to turn the switch off, it will still turn the fan off with the ignition, since that kills power to the sensor(and thus your switch also). The thermo sensor will still function normally.

Very simple job, takes maybe 15 minutes.
It is not hard at all. Take less that 3 minutes to tap into the wires, 15 minutes to take the scoop off and on. It took me longer to cut a hole to mount the switch than to wire it in.

Just seeing if anyone could post a wiring diagram (very clear and easy to understand cause i'm piss poor at electronics). Preferably with real pictures.

I have a switch that is already installed near the ignition area. I just need hook up some wires cause they have been taken off. I just don't know what type of wires, how to hook them up, and where to hook them up to.

Basically a fan override switch for dummies tutorial! :eusa_dance:

The stock thermo switch has two terminals both are +ve, the body of the switch is the ground or -ve, see photo all you need to do is extend a wire from each terminal & put your switch between them, no need to use a fues since the stock fues will still be functional in case of a shorted circuit.

Attachments

• fan switch.jpg
    fan switch.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 43
Not knowing much I was leaning toward the thermostat change out simply because my dumb ass is going to forget to turn the fan switch off.

If you forget it's not a big deal. I'll turn mine on in traffic and realize 30min later as I'm doing 100 on the interstate it's still on. Not gonna hurt anything. I've heard that running the fan at high speeds might not be a good idea from forcing air through the blades and over-speeding the motor, but it hasn't died yet, and I've finally gotten good at remembering to turn it off (2 years later).

I think the fan switch replaces with one from a '88 Nissan Sentra, which trips it at 190* or something instead of the stock 220.

If you ride in hot climates a lot(like alabana), be prepared to have it running almost constantly with a lower temp switch. Mine likes to hang out 170-180 cruising on the highway on a hot summer day, temps in the 80's.

Which is better- installing a lower temp. thermostat or the fan switch?

Fan switch is better. The lower temp stat will do you no good in slow traffic as temps will rise too high before the fan comes on -- just like the OEM stat. Let the thermostat keep the temps where the engineers designed them to be for normal running.

I sometimes forget to turn the fan off after I've been in congested traffic but it's no big deal. But I never forget to turn it off when I turn the bike off cause it sounds like a Hoover vacuum cleaner.

A switch that lights up can also help remind you to turn it off depending on where you mount it. Just requires one more wire to ground it.

i am going to install one too....i got caught on northwest highway in dallas the other morning in some serious morning traffic....temp guage would jump up to about 3/4...then come back down when i took off.....kinda worried me a little....never got in the red...

Some people will disagree, but in my opinion the fan switch is better
The reason I picked the fan switch over the lower temp thermostat for this reason. The ease and speed of installing the switch, I tied into the wires to install my switch to the fan so if key off the fan is off.
If the thermostat is lower the coolant will heat up in the radiator and you might end up with warmer coolant entering you motor and then the thermostat would open and stay open and the coolant would not have enough time in the radiator to drop enough temp to help cool the engine. The thermostat needs to control the flow of the coolant and let it have enough time in the radiator to lower coolant temp. So using a manual over ride switch will help the coolant in the radiator at low speeds or in stop and go traffic. Allowing the coolant entering the motor to be more effective to cooling the motor. Since I have installed my switch I can turn the cooling fan on around half way mark and does not raise any, if anything it lowers the temp on the gauge.
airscooptankfront.jpg

can see the over ride switch near the key and I can see the switch and hear the cooling fan when I turn it on and when I get moving I just turn it off no problems and easy use

Last edited:
The other guys in this thread keep saying thermostat but are actually referring to changing the thermoswitch in the coolant manifold that controls when the fan turns on.

The reason I picked the fan switch over the lower temp thermostat for this reason. The ease and speed of installing the switch, I tied into the wires to install my switch to the fan so if key off the fan is off.
If the thermostat is lower the coolant will heat up in the radiator and you might end up with warmer coolant entering you motor and then the thermostat would open and stay open and the coolant would not have enough time in the radiator to drop enough temp to help cool the engine. The thermostat needs to control the flow of the coolant and let it have enough time in the radiator to lower coolant temp. So using a manual over ride switch will help the coolant in the radiator at low speeds or in stop and go traffic. Allowing the coolant entering the motor to be more effective to cooling the motor. Since I have installed my switch I can turn the cooling fan on around half way mark and does not raise any, if anything it lowers the temp on the gauge.
airscooptankfront.jpg

can see the over ride switch near the key and I can see the switch and hear the cooling fan when I turn it on and when I get moving I just turn it off no problems and easy use

I understand that they where talking about replacing either the thermostat with a lower temp or the sending unit switch with a lower temp to turn the fan on. The thermostat which controls the flow of coolant through the radiator from the engine. With a lower temp thermostat the thermostat opens sooner and as the temp rises in the radiator the coolant it is less effective entering the engine. With a lower temp switch on the fan controller the fan will turn on sooner and works automaticly as the temp raises. Which in my opinion is better than changing the thermostat. But decided that a manual switch was even better, when I see that I will be sitting and the temp is starting to raise, I can flip the switch as soon I am in that position and get more effective cooling.

Latest posts

Back