Finally! Affordable backrest/rack combo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMax/Magniac

Reaction score
I finally got together all the components for an affordable passenger backrest/luggage rack combo. Posted also in the CNC projects area, but I thought I would put it here as well. I've been working on this for several months, and finally got all the parts sourced. I've been selling the rack for a while, with mounting hardware fabricated by a local friend, finally got a source for the backrest. Check it out http://www.cycle-istic.com/Misc.html
:eusa_dance:

Yeah, that does look sturdier than the stocker. Good luck w/the sales.

Are you bending the bars and doing the Pads too? or is that a generic sissy bar and pad with your hardware to adapt it to the vmax grabrail ? Id love to see one in person, Good luck !

I had planned to make the sissy bar and pads myself, but by quantity buying, I can actually get them for less than the cost of making them. If I made them myself, the price would have to be about $60 more.
The whole point of the project is to offer a viable alternative to the factory setup, which is almost impossible to obtain, and extremely expensive.

So since I just got my rack and mounts in the mail about three days ago, can I just get the backrest for the difference in price? I think I'd be into that and I'll figure something else out for storage...

PM works

OH, and the thing is VERY WELL MADE. I've showed it off to all my friends that appreciate fine craftsmanship.

well if you do not have a sissybar and rack that is a deal but I have a factory sissy bar so rack will not work.

So since I just got my rack and mounts in the mail about three days ago, can I just get the backrest for the difference in price? I think I'd be into that and I'll figure something else out for storage...

PM works

OH, and the thing is VERY WELL MADE. I've showed it off to all my friends that appreciate fine craftsmanship.

I'll call you tomorrow, and we can work something out. What time (TX time) is good for you? I have an appointment at the VA which will tie me up from about 9:00- 12:00 TX time, but I'm free the rest of the day.

Is the backrest easy on easy off? Can you post some pictures of the mounting points? Very nice setup but don't want it on all the time. Thanks.

Is the backrest easy on easy off? Can you post some pictures of the mounting points? Very nice setup but don't want it on all the time. Thanks.

Don't know how to post pics on here, but I can e-mail them to you if you want. The mounting brackets use 4 existing bolts to attach to the bike, and the backrest uses 4 to attach to the mounting brackets. The whole assembly can be removed in about 10-15 minutes.

We're running a screwy schedule at school (work) tomorrow. I think I will be off from 12-1:15 CST. Closer to 12 is probably better, but I'll be busy right up until then.

Try to attach . . . never mind color, these are my prototype brackets, bare metal before powder coating.

Attachments

• P1000973.JPG
    P1000973.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 96
I've got one of his luggage racks and the quality is top notch, might consider picking up the backrest too for when I have the girls on the back...

Try to attach . . . never mind color, these are my prototype brackets, bare metal before powder coating.
looks like that might work out, are you going to cut the brackets down any more, I guess it might the view/ angle that is throwing it off. Let us know how it works out.

Here is the finished product. The powder coating on the brackets is very close to the finish of the existing grab rail.

Attachments

• P1000627 copy.JPG
    P1000627 copy.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 76
I'm not sure if I want the rack yet- mainly looking for a sissy bar/backrest for the missus, although the more I think of it, the more I think it might be useful to have the rack in the garage for travelling. You need both the brackets and the backrest, not just the backrest, right? Do you ship to Canada?

Yes, we ship to Canada, You do need the brackets, they allow you to mount the backrest, or the rack, or both. Shipping cost will be a little higher than shown on the webpage, which is for shipping within the USA only.

Oh, just so you know the bolts you sent with the brackets and rack just fit for the backrest/bracket/rack setup.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Oh, just so you know the bolts you sent with the brackets and rack just fit for the backrest/bracket/rack setup.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Yes, the measurement is very close, that's why we use the thinner locknut, to prevent the capscrew extending through too far. If we used the thicker nut, we would have to use a longer capscrew.

Back