First official photo

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From MCN:

2009%20Yamaha%20Vmax.jpg

Story link

i like the headlight........................(there i said it....)

You all are nuts! That bike is pure evil. Darth Vader's hot-rod!:punk:

I don't like the exhaust, but that style is very big right now. Easy to change that.

Mike

The prototype looked more evil and was all black!

Attachments

• prototype release vmax.jpg
    prototype release vmax.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 35
The prototype looked more evil and was all black!

I agree. The pipes look WAAAY better on the prototype. Ah well, more mods :clapping:

At least they didn't come up with those ugly B-King exhausts :puke:

WHAT? Hell NO!

This headlight fits this design. The VTX headlight is WAY too old school!

Just think back to 1985 if people said I think it needs a square head light and Yamaha had done it...:bang head:

And whats with old school Chris:confused2: Don't we all ride the baddest old school hot rod motorcycle ever built:ummm: You're so right about the rectangle headlights. One of the reasons I sold my V65 for a Max :biglaugh:

After market body kits?

Attachments

• vmR1400-speculation.jpg
    vmR1400-speculation.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 26
I am upset to say it, but I don't like the bike! With any work of art the eyes should be able to flow across it with nothing in particular drawing attention from the entire piece. My eyes stutter when looking at this from end to end, and its hard for me to look at it, absorb it all. Odd angles and shapes, combined with no real reason or purpose. This thing looks cobbled together, with mis-matched parts. The tail and side covers look like after thoughts, especially the tail :barf: the scoops are out of place. The engine should be the center piece of any naked bike and in this pic its hidden in a mass of darkness. I hope that it looks better at different angles and in person. Where's the large diameter USD forks and a real passenger seat? My wife hates the factory seat on my bike, and the new one doesn't look any better.

I do like that front fender though!

What I meant was someone would have had to change the shadow if its a photo shopped pic, the photo of the prototype and the "New" Max photo have different shadows.

Thats going to extremes isn't it I think were looking at the New Max!!

I am upset to say it, but I don't like the bike! With any work of art the eyes should be able to flow across it with nothing in particular drawing attention from the entire piece. My eyes stutter when looking at this from end to end, and its hard for me to look at it, absorb it all. Odd angles and shapes, combined with no real reason or purpose. This thing looks cobbled together, with mis-matched parts. The tail and side covers look like after thoughts, especially the tail :barf: the scoops are out of place. The engine should be the center piece of any naked bike and in this pic its hidden in a mass of darkness. I hope that it looks better at different angles and in person. Where's the large diameter USD forks and a real passenger seat? My wife hates the factory seat on my bike, and the new one doesn't look any better.

I knew there was a reason I became an engineer and not an artist. It's amazing how two people (you and I) can see the same thing, yet feel so differently about it.

Photoshop. Looks sweet though. Don't know what ya'll have against the headlight. Can't wait to see the real thing.
P.S. All the talk about flowy art and shadows made me laugh. I personally prefer to ride a motorcycle to a piece of art. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

let me help you out here ....
Your design criticizim(which is correctly stated as in the eye of the beholder yet also follows some basics foundation principles) could be applied to the old vmax as well. If you think about it ,the design look of the vmax has always been about a lack of flow with parts not design for continuity.
The original intent was the scoops flowing in to the motor and then out through the pipes (if you read the design history of the bike thats what they explain they were striving for in 1984) . this has never been understood or successful in my mind.

From a proper educated design perspective there is nothing greviously in error on the new bike.....the flow you speak of is perfectly done on the victory vision, yet it is universally accepted to be ugly in most peoples eyes or at least overdone.

Flow was never really the intend of the vmaxs overall design....brutish mechanical toughness is what the concept is suppose to evoke in your eye... making you feel a bit uneasy is intended.
But your right i think in that they could tighten up a few items in the tail.

Attachments

• victoryvisiontour.jpg
    victoryvisiontour.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 9
Photoshop. Looks sweet though. Don't know what ya'll have against the headlight. Can't wait to see the real thing.
P.S. All the talk about flowy art and shadows made me laugh. I personally prefer to ride a motorcycle to a piece of art. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Ya its true...you dont have to undestand design to appreciate it.... did you know an M16 was designed to look intimidating on purpose? first gun ever done that way...

I knew there was a reason I became an engineer and not an artist. It's amazing how two people (you and I) can see the same thing, yet feel so differently about it.

and you would be suprised at how many things you use every day are designed by people who have not training in either but have great design sence.... (and are gay but thats another story)

I think the bottom line is were all glad they made a New Vmax to carry on our legacy as far me personally I think its ugly,but I'm a cruiser guy I like M109s Vrods even the Harley Rocker[I like the 240 on the rear with that low fender] What I consider "bad ass" is much different than the fans of this new bike,I like the gobs of power but thats about it and if I wanted it to resemble the old max I would have never modded my 92 to begin with,As far as handling I don't care as much as straight line performance.

I think those who find this bike pleasing are either sportbike dudes or streetfighter types.

I think they missed the mark with the cruiser crowd which makes up 70% of Yamaha[Stars] sales maybe it will be a huge hit in europe?

Looks too Robo Cop to me!

Latest posts

Back