FIrst Post please help me decide......

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Mccostlin,
congrats on your V-Max buy & welcome to the forum. You're going to love the V-Max ride .... :punk:
Lots of good people & information here to help you. I'm only an hour northeast of you, some members are even closer, if you need any help or special tools (like to sync the carbs); so give a shout out if you do !

Great, I appreciate the offer, great reason to road trip this spring.... I got minimal poping when cold and on the choke, but I think it will be ok once it warms up a bit around here....

my last bike was an 09 ultra classic, before that a screaming eagle Vrod and a ZRX1100. I am sure this one will keep me happy, the more torque and speed the happier I am!!:biglaugh:

Looks pretty good, nice buy!

As far as the issues with the scoops and stator cover insert, there is not much you can do short of stripping them and polishing or repaint, or chrome or buy new fancy stuff.

The scoop doesn't look bad at all in the pics. The stator cover insert isn't looking too good though.

If your budget is tight I would polish the scoops and paint the stator cover. If you remove the faux tank you will see one allen key on top of the scoop. there is one more on the very front of the scoop in front of the "intake" screen. Take those two bolts out and the scoop is off. Look up on how to polish aluminum on the net, or how to polish scoops here. it takes time and upkeep but on a minimum budget, its a great way to go.

The stator cover insert is pretty hard to polish at home do to the surface irregularities. I would strip the clearcoat with paint stripper, clean it up as best I could, and shoot it with some black paint. VHT makes a caliper paint that is very durable. You might want to take this cover off (only the two visible screws hold it on) when you do your oil change. Either that, or put a block under the right frame rail to lean the bike over a bit when you remove it. You might lose a little oil otherwise. The gasket behind the cover should be reusable. It is not paper. There is a oring on the backside in the center that should be reusable as well.

If you want to spend money on it you can buy some nice a stator cover insert for a decent price from a few places and different types of scoops or chrome ones.

There are a ton of things you could do if you have the initiative. Remove battery and check water level, install a battery tender, check out and re-grease steering stem and swingarm bearings, check wheel bearings for roughness and replace if needed, change oil, final drive oil, brake fluid, coolant. Check brake pads, remove any glazing from pads and rotors, clean up caliper pistons, fresh fuel, stabilizer for the winter nap, etc....

Or, throw you kids favorite fuzzy blanket over it and wait for spring.

Nice, suggest a pair of Engine guards, check ebay.

You may be able to power polish that corrosion off.

I am in Owosso, have an 05.

O

you can always powdercoat. my coater offers those parts very reasonably done, if you need contact details PM me.

get the checkbook out ! Welcome looks great ! youll need lots of money, why you ask ?because once you start its hard to stop !

Back