First Servicing...on my own.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gally

Reaction score
I Plan to do my first service on my own. I am going to start with oil change then when my parts come from whitebuffalo I am going to put some brakes on. I plan to use synthetic oil (not sure the type yet) any suggestion appreciated... and change oil filter as well.

Are Yamaha parts the way to go, or should I look for something else? Other than oil and filter.....should I change plugs? What do you guys do for your general maintenance? :confused2::ummm:

I Plan to do my first service on my own. I am going to start with oil change then when my parts come from whitebuffalo I am going to put some brakes on. I plan to use synthetic oil (not sure the type yet) any suggestion appreciated... and change oil filter as well.

Are Yamaha parts the way to go, or should I look for something else? Other than oil and filter.....should I change plugs? What do you guys do for your general maintenance? :confused2::ummm:

be aware that you have a wet clutch and synthetic will make it slip, i put synthetic in for my first oil change and the clutch would slip under load when i was getting on it sometimes. i took advise from guys on here and went with shell rotella diesel oil and havnt had it happen since

I am sure this post will get loaded with oil opinions I guess you will just have to read and make your decision

Synthetic oils made my clutch burn as it did with the previous writer said I wish it didnt I used to use the Synthetic oil made by Honda in my Old Gixxer dragbike
I havent tried Synthetic after doing my Double D mod to the clutch
Ok if your going to do brakes the only way to go is with the EBC HH gold pads from White Buffalo these pads are awesome improvement over stock and the green EBC's i had I think for all 3 pairs (1 rear and 2 fronts) the cost was 80 dollars do a search of threads brakes and there are many posts
IMO on oil since you are in the MID east I wouldNT use anything thinner than 20W50
I can also tell you that Castrol motorcycle 20W50 doesnt get as good oil pressure as Yamaha Motorcycle oil it thins out to much at operating temp and I have seen 18 PSI less oil pressure at high RPM which I didnt like
I pay 4 dollars more for a factory Yamaha oil filter than a fram or an auto filter from Wal Mart
IMO I want to use an oil filter for that pacific engine so the extra 4 dollars is for piece of mind

Thanks for the info on synthetic. I had never heard that was a problem for the vmax. A friend who drives a Ducati mentioned he would never run without it, but I think he has a dry clutch.

Definatly going with EBC brakes. MIke at whitebuffaloracing said he will now add the VMAX to the on-line list of brake parts for easy ordering.

You guys change anthing else on routine mtc.?

I always check the important things like...
Battery level, swing-arm, rear gear oil, clean air filter, spark plugs, and I check all the bolts I can see to make sure nothing is coming loose.

Thanks for the info on synthetic. I had never heard that was a problem for the vmax. A friend who drives a Ducati mentioned he would never run without it, but I think he has a dry clutch.

Definatly going with EBC brakes. MIke at whitebuffaloracing said he will now add the VMAX to the on-line list of brake parts for easy ordering.

You guys change anthing else on routine mtc.?

I am one that runs the Shell Rotella Diesel oil and I LOVE it. The big thing to remember is to not use energy conserving oil.

Go to the VMF links and check out the oil link I posted up.

How's your coolant? In the Middle East I imagine it's needed. On a water cooled engine I wouldn't use thicker than 15W40 or the syn 5W40. Synthetics film strength builds as it heats up which is one reason why syn rocks! I bought a Barnett spring kit form White Buffalo so I have more holding power.

If you haven't I would replace the rear gear lube.

I changed the oil @ 300miles to be sure, and sure enough it was dark black crude. Replaced it with Castrol half-synthetic 10w40 and went for a 200 mile ride today. No slipping clutch, runs cooler than before. still need to get an oil pressure gauge.

If you ride every day I suggest you sync your carbs once a month. I used to think I had lean surge problems - now I'm thinking carb sync was the bigger factor. FWIW - I use Exxon XD-3 15w40 & a walmart filter - so far. so good, but I'm not a real hot-shoe so my bike rarely gets pushed to the limit. Check your tire pressures often & keep an eye on your steering head bearing & your front wheel bearing. Ride safe Bro !

Synthetic for 17 years after the first 600 miles never a problem.

IF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE , GET A FACTORY SHOP MANUAL & A TORQUE WRENCH ! I CAN'T STRESS THAT ENOUGH ! MAKES FOR GOOD READING ALSO ! ALOT OF INTERESTING THINGS ! :punk:

Back