Float bowl vent lines

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
I've been unable to find a picture or diagram of where the float bowl vent lines go. Any help would be great .

Thank you sir . We knew they went somewhere. We have been scratching our heads for an hour. But since we don't have the stock air box anymore we will improvise.

If you don't have the airbox it would be better to run 5/16 hoses to the bottom of the motor where they will not be disturbed by any airflow.
Also if the bike is dropped the gas will go below the motor instead of on top of it.

I've always been told to put them in as close to stock location as possible. I've heard of people tying them to the inside of the frame where the air box goes.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I still don't get why this helps with surging.
That is the question. ...Danny and I talked at length about that. It seems like some carbs....not an issue. The others you will almost get like a lean surge about 4500...and having the vent lines in place is the only way to fix it. I talked to Don old man smith about it.....he said the same thing.

If you don't have the airbox it would be better to run 5/16 hoses to the bottom of the motor where they will not be disturbed by any airflow.
Also if the bike is dropped the gas will go below the motor instead of on top of it.
I know that when building a bike there are compromises.....but if it was a big deal....why didn't the Yamaha engineers route them that way in the first place?

How about just routing them in the stock location?

How about just routing them in the stock location?

How about spilling gas on the motor instead of where the stock airbox used to be?
Some owners don't run hoses at all- Wouldn't you think that directing any overflow away from a hot motor would be safer than not running any hose at all if you don't not have the airbox to catch excess gas?

Again....if that was an issue.....don't you think the Yamaha engineers would have them rerouted from the get go?

They were routed to the airbox to hold any gas that would leak out in case the bike was laid over-as a catchcan- the freshest air without disturbance was from inside the airbox-Once the airbox is no longer in use i would say modifications are in the hands of what works best for the owner.
In MY opinion i would want any overflow directed away from a hot motor in case the bike was laid over.

What would freshest air have to do with it? They are coming from the carbs.....they merely attach to the air box.

True about mods that work best for the owner...but it's always wise to use the advice of people with experience like Don. ...Danny. ....and I believe that Sean has said to route the hoses in the stock location.

What would freshest air have to do with it? They are coming from the carbs.....they merely attach to the air box.

True about mods that work best for the owner...but it's always wise to use the advice of people with experience like Don. ...Danny. ....and I believe that Sean has said to route the hoses in the stock location.

I believe that sean said to mount them in the rear bolt holes of the front covers-
Why would i not have any experience?

Well your experience was not vmax specific. ....that's why you would tell people at 12000 miles to run their valves.....they have bad rings....etc. remember we've had this conversation before.....the vmax is a different animal.....and previous knowledge usually doesn't carry over.

Well your experience was not vmax specific. ....that's why you would tell people at 12000 miles to run their valves.....they have bad rings....etc. remember we've had this conversation before.....the vmax is a different animal.....and previous knowledge usually doesn't carry over.

Why would you take your "y" off your airbox, eric?
There are NO written rules about a "vmax" and NO written rules about modifications.
We learn from each other and we learn from mistakes.
I have had motors blown the second time i took them down the strip- broken rings, pinholes in pistons from nos, broken crankshafts, broken valves, broken camshaft chains--it happens- it also happens when you buy a LEMON. If a motor is not broken in properly chances are your going to get one.
I have seen motors with less than 600 miles smoke because of it and the rings tore the hell out of the cylinder walls and had to be sleeved. Is that so hard to believe?
The Vmax motor is not indestructible and previous knowledge does help.
EVERY motor is different.

I remember the conversation that you had with another member here....and you said that you spoke to a "guru" on here.....who had blown up 3 vmaxs in under 10000 miles....so obviously it was possible to get one. I spoke to that guru when I bought up a frame from him. Actually he blew them up because he was riding them too hard....wheelies.....etc. he admitted that they blew up due to how he was riding them. He also said that he only knew of one vmax that had bad rings. They were improperly gapped and ate the cylinder in under 1500 miles.

Learning is a good thing.....but when your convinced that your right no matter what......a lot of misinformation can be spread. That is a bad thing.

I think this thread has been hijacked enough.

Back