Float sticking sporadically

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmoraider

Reaction score
Hey all, one of my floats is sticking every now and then. Just started recently when I turn the key on and everything is cycling, the fuel pump will just keep on running. I will turn it off and tap each carb til it stops. It will also cure itself if I get it out and really crank through the gears. I did the shotgun a while back and it is only since then that this has started. I have tried draining the gas from the carbs to look for any particles. The number 2 carb, front left side will barely drain anything out of it. There is just a steady drip coming from the drain hose while all the others stream right out. Do I probably have something clogging the hose and should I tear that carb apart and check it out? Thanks.

Something's going on there for sure.. Best thing would be to tear into it and have a good look, bit of a PITA but worth it in the long run!

It could be a clogged drain hole / gummed up drain screw / blocked drain hose so if you can get to those first without removing and breaking up the carb rack tht would be a good start..

I wonder if just removing the hose to check for a blockage of some sort might be a first step. Also, could a loose/ blocked vent hose for that carb cause a balky drain?

Or the float needle is not moving in and out of its seat properly. Thus acting like a float issue. Either way, a tear down is required.

Could be trash particles in the float bowel. Try draining into a white paper cup and see... Just that may fix the problem if some crap comes out...

One of mine has been doing that recently as well. Before tearing it down I decided to do a carb cleaners soak of the float bowl. I went to a local farm and ranch store and picked up a big syringe. I drained the gas out of each float bowl and used the syringe to fill it back up through the drain line with carb cleaner. I let it sit for 10 or 20 minutes then turned the bike over to get it through some of the passages. Then I drained the cleaner back out, replaced the fuel filter (had insect wings and vegetation in it...). So far, it seems to be working, though I'm sure a full tear down and cleaning/adjustment is in my future.

Is the bike running OK when this is happening? A stuck open float should make the bike choke up and throw a lot of unburned gas out the exhaust. The bike will want to load up and die completely while idling, but might open up and run correctly in the mid range and/or upper end.

On the other hand, if your only symptom is the pump running for a long period during startup, you may just need to check out the guts on that pump. May be one of the little rubber deals inside have dislodged and need to be re-inserted properly for the pump to build pressure correctly?

I have got to ask.....how did you get insect wings and vegetation into your fuel tank/lines/fuel filter?

Eggs n mushrooms? :rofl_200:

Ha ha, heck if I know! I hadn't changed the filter since I got the bike a few years back... turns out it was necessary! I don't know how that stuff gets in the tank unless it got pumped in, but I would like to think the gas pumps have a little better filter than that....

I had heard that an open fuel tank acts like one of those japanese beetle traps for flies... and my garage was just buzzing so what was I supposed to do....?

The bike seems to run fine, although I've changed so much on it that I'm not real sure what "optimum" should be. I had planned on going to Sean's dyno day this year, but it's the one weekend that I already have plans this summer. I don't really notice any difference when riding, only when I stop and turn it off and back on do I even realize the pump just keeps cycling. I figured it was one of the floats because when I smack the carbs with the rubber mallet, it will eventually quit. Also, that one drain hose that seems clogged is making me suspect crap in that carb. Didn't know if there was an easier solution to fixing this besides yanking and cleaning the carbs.

The pump will eventually either quit trying to reach it's optimum pressure, and shut off on its own, or it actually IS finally reaching the required pressure and shutting down. It is merely coinciding with the time it takes you to get out the screwdriver and start tapping, perhaps.

Try disassembling the pump. It's rather easy to do. Requires not much time to do, and will give you piece of mind that the pump is OK on the inside.

Here's a nice tutorial on the subject.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8775

Back