Flyscreen tint

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veebooster

Reaction score
Anyone tint their factory flyscreen darker? If so how'd you do it?
Tinters round here say it can't be done cause it won't stick to the screen and the sun will give you air bubbles. :confused2:
Spray tint?

Dale #2592

he used vinyl i think.

i tried, it doesn't work in one sheet. thats why i made stripes with it. one thick one down the middle and then 2 thin ones on each side.

I tried the one piece tint.....no way to get all the bubbles out with the complex curves. Anyone try the spray on tints?

Thks,

Dale #2592

i did a lot of research on that, called the actual manufacturers, and from what i could gather they couldn't guarantee it would work right/or able to ever come off.

I tried having mine done on my last max,and was told the same thing,because the screen is made of"plastic" tint wont stick to it,it actually "breaths" causing bubbles that will drive ppl like me insane till the day i die(did i mention im a "tad" retentive?) :)

yea. i think i might spraypaint it or something...

Spray painted mine black...not like i look through it anyway... Looks great and is holding up fine after a year or so.

This is obvious, but remove the screen and paint the back side after careful cleaning. Should last indefinitely.

Spray painted mine black...not like i look through it anyway... Looks great and is holding up fine after a year or so.

i'd love to see a pic if u get a chance.

This is obvious, but remove the screen and paint the back side after careful cleaning. Should last indefinitely.

my thoughts exactly .

Here are the pics. Painted the flyscreen on the inside with high gloss black spray paint. Also painted the frame while I was at it. I really like it.

Attachments

• downsized_0622001643.jpg
    downsized_0622001643.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 65
  • downsized_0622001642.jpg
    downsized_0622001642.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 68
  • downsized_0622001641.jpg
    downsized_0622001641.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 66
i like the gloss. my frame is powdercoated so no problem there.

i might just go with this when i get a chance. the gloss makes it look like a heavy tint eh?

Looks great, I may do that very thing. I am pretty sure that you could use a satin black and it would look the same from the outside. Might be nicer to not have the shine/reflection around the speedo?

Looks great, I may do that very thing. I am pretty sure that you could use a satin black and it would look the same from the outside. Might be nicer to not have the shine/reflection around the speedo?

ah yes i had a plan.

spray with gloss black (from the inside). then clear coat flat, so its not shiny on the inside.

I tried the one piece tint.....no way to get all the bubbles out with the complex curves. Anyone try the spray on tints?

Thks,

Dale #2592

My wife is a professional tinter. She has been tinting for about 13 years now and was taught by her brother who has been doing it for over 25 yrs. First I haven't seen spray on tint forever! Secondly a good professional tinter can do one peice back windows that have compound curves, that are on cars. I see her tint corvettes , VW beatles everyday it can be done.It also depends on the quality of tint, you buy the cheep stuff ,you are limiting how much of a compound curve can be done. Ok so now the the issue is the plastic screen. Yes it will bubble because the plastic is always giving off a gas and it will cause the tint to delaminate from the plastic over time. When it does this it will ruin the plastic screen. If you want to paint it, my suggestion is go down to your local hobbie shop that carries spraypaint that is made to adhere to plastic , like the RC car bodies. This way you can paint the ouside if you wanted. They have a pretty neat color selections avaiable!

Gannon

My wife is a professional tinter. She has been tinting for about 13 years now and was taught by her brother who has been doing it for over 25 yrs. First I haven't seen spray on tint forever! Secondly a good professional tinter can do one peice back windows that have compound curves, that are on cars. I see her tint corvettes , VW beatles everyday it can be done.It also depends on the quality of tint, you buy the cheep stuff ,you are limiting how much of a compound curve can be done. Ok so now the the issue is the plastic screen. Yes it will bubble because the plastic is always giving off a gas and it will cause the tint to delaminate from the plastic over time. When it does this it will ruin the plastic screen. If you want to paint it, my suggestion is go down to your local hobbie shop that carries spraypaint that is made to adhere to plastic , like the RC car bodies. This way you can paint the ouside if you wanted. They have a pretty neat color selections avaiable!

Gannon

That's exactly what I ended up doing. paint that'll adhere to acrylic. spray from the inside. several very light coats until you get the darkness you want.

Dale #2592

Latest posts

Back