fork oil quantity

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schudaddie

Reaction score
got my progressive springs yesterday but have one question. in Sean's video on fork rebuild, 4.8 inches of p. steer fluid from top of compressed fork. it looks like he' are doing a later model fork. is it the same for the early model forks?
thanks again, bill

Progressive recommends 5.5" for early models. It works well for me specially with the ricor valves. Any higher was making my fork way to stiff no matter how I was setting the preload.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You can also play with the level to tune the amount of compressible air in the forks.
Its a legitimate tuning variable.

That air is in and of itself "progressive"

yep I'll do the 5.5" of syn. power steer fluid and the instructions say to use my stock spacers. mine are original and measure 5 3/8" but progressive says they should be 5 1/4. rather than cutting off the 1/8. can't imagine 1/8 more preload would make much difference. I may try them as is and cut them down later if I don't like the ride. don't plan on using air at all.
later,bill

well I completed my progressive spring install with a 20 mi ride. put me down for I like it. :eusa_dance: I did go with the manuals 15.3 oz of fluid ( syn. power steer.) then I checked the measurement and it was just like Sean's recommendation of 4.75/4.8" from the top of the tube. I also put the close wound end at the top per Sean's video. I felt that this would cause less displacement of the fluid. Progressives "precautionary statement" of 5.5 inches down is due to their spring being a heavier design and will displace more fluid. more windings at the top = less displacement. I don't know if this Sean's reason for the close windings at the top but it makes sense to me. thanks again to all and Sean, hope the bruising /swelling goes away soon. :peace out bike:
later bill

Latest posts

Back