Fork question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icepick

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the forks on my '92 V Max, following the manual, and my forks do not have the "Air balancer, Air valve, and the other associated parts that go along with that part of the forks, the holes where the air obviously would enter the forks were welded closed.
Is there a reason why someone, (previous owner?) would do that? :hmmm:
Thanks for any info, I plan to continue tearing them down, I just wanted to know.....

I'm rebuilding the forks on my '92 V Max, following the manual, and my forks do not have the "Air balancer, Air valve, and the other associated parts that go along with that part of the forks, the holes where the air obviously would enter the forks were welded closed.
Is there a reason why someone, (previous owner?) would do that? :hmmm:
Thanks for any info, I plan to continue tearing them down, I just wanted to know.....

Think they do that when adding progressive springs, don't need air with them and the balancer is eliminated.

Think I'll lower the front end, (raise forks) while I'm at it.

I am buying a one owner 2005 vmax next week and the guy says that after his warranty ran out he noticed that the forks won't hold air pressure. How will I go about fixing this?? Seals???? Is this a big job or something I can do myself????

I am buying a one owner 2005 vmax next week and the guy says that after his warranty ran out he noticed that the forks won't hold air pressure. How will I go about fixing this?? Seals???? Is this a big job or something I can do myself????

most likely seals - couldn't believe the difference when i changed mine! i did it myself - used an impact wrench like Sean does in his videos and had no issue following his examples!

search one2dmax on youtube - he's made some excellent videos to follow on forks and many other items! :worthy:

Do you put air in the 05's forks?

I have a '99 and whilst it has the Schroeder valves in the fork caps there is no mention of putting air into them in the owners handbook.

IMHO adding air at best will mask the inadequacies of the cra*py springs or at worst be a pain because, as you have found, it is very good at escaping!.

Treat yourself to some Racetech springs and Gold emulators. :eusa_dance:

He probably blew the seals putting too much air in the forks. I have never added air but did put Progressive springs in my first Max and Race Tech springs/emulators in my current Max. Really do not recommend using air in the forks.

Back