Frame brace?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousCycle

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with frame braces? As I've gotten more comfortable with my Max I've started hitting that high speed wobble in fast corners. Is this frame flexing, and if so do frame braces help? Only happens when I'm really ripping around a corner....:rocket bike:

Frame braces help but they are just one of several items most maxxers do to help this problem. Opinions vary and I can't nail down which is most effective since I did all mine in one day but here's a list. Might be leaving something out but....

Frame braces
Fork brace
Solid engine mounts
Better rear shocks
Race tech front springs and cartridge emulators

Steering dampener (of dubious value but I run one anyhow)

Very careful attention to front steering stem bearing setup/tension
Careful attention to tire air pressure

$$$$$$$ stuff that works but I haven't done yet.

Braced swingarm
Upside down front forks
Radial tires (need a different rear wheel for this)

Later

Rusty

I'd run with the solid engine mounts first and see if that works.

I picked up the pieces to make my own frame braces today, should be pretty easy to make.
Solid motor mounts should be here any day, installed racetech emulators a couple of weeks ago. Braced swingarm getting built as we speak.
Steering head bearings about to be replaced, now only have to get it all back together and wait for spring.

Thanks for the info everyone.
I'm running radials already, plus a UFO fork brace.
I'll check the steering bearing. Seems like yesterday, but my log says it's been a year since I checked it.
How's the vibration with the solid motor mounts? I tried urethane mounts on a car once and the vibration was terrible...

I picked up the pieces to make my own frame braces today, should be pretty easy to make.

I welded up a set two weeks ago. It took longer for prep and paint than to build them. I did have a drill press and chop saw though. They came out about 1/4" off from each other, but I wasn't about to build a jig for one set. They don't look bad at all, and I spent about three bucks in sandpaper. The rest was scrap.

I've got a set on mine. Bought the bike with them and even though mine are the bd kind (they clamp onto the top tubes instead of being bolted more firmly) I'de still rather have them than nothing.

Took them off a while back and even though I hadn't changed anything else the handeling was just so much worse. I nearly crashed when I got on the throttle out of a corner a bit harder than I meant to and the front end lifted and went wobbeling all over from the frame flexing.

I personally think the solid mounts help up to about 80mph.The frame braces help up to about 130 mph.Then she starts flexing again under heavy torque in the turns.I also have the bolt in frame braces but you can tell they are doing something.When you bolt them in and tighten them you can see them suck it in real tight for the last 3/16" or so.

I welded up a set two weeks ago. It took longer for prep and paint than to build them. I did have a drill press and chop saw though. They came out about 1/4" off from each other, but I wasn't about to build a jig for one set. They don't look bad at all, and I spent about three bucks in sandpaper. The rest was scrap.

Do you have any pics of them before you put them on?? I would like to make a set myself.
Thanks.

99V-Max

No I don't, I don't even have any pictures of them on the bike. I'll see if I can get my camera to work later today though.

I think you can see them on Dale Walkers site.I copied his swingarm brace when I made mine.

Back