Front Shock Leaking at Dust Seal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimvette999

Reaction score
Well, I've read though the threads about Forks and I couldn't find an answer to this.:ummm:
If a fork is leaking at the dust seal, does that mean the internal seal has gone bad or the dust seal needs replacement? Both my front shocks are still @ 11psi but the oil runs down and drips off one of the fork tubes.

Thanks,
Jim

Well, I've read though the threads about Forks and I couldn't find an answer to this.:ummm:
If a fork is leaking at the dust seal, does that mean the internal seal has gone bad or the dust seal needs replacement? Both my front shocks are still @ 11psi but the oil runs down and drips off one of the fork tubes.

Thanks,
Jim

YES! The internal oil seal is trashed! My SV is doing the same thing and is getting replaced in the next couple months...

I would replace both fork seals... :thumbs up:

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. whilst at it, you might as well put some real springs in it and stop putting air in them! :whistlin:

Cheers

YES! The internal oil seal is trashed! My SV is doing the same thing and is getting replaced in the next couple months...

I would replace both fork seals... :thumbs up:

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. whilst at it, you might as well put some real springs in it and stop putting air in them! :whistlin:

Cheers

Thanks Chris. I'll definately refurbish both sides. As to the new springs, I wonder if a rider of my style (read no twisties/wheelies, i.e. pussy) really needs them?:hmmm:

Jim

Thanks Chris. I'll definately refurbish both sides. As to the new springs, I wonder if a rider of my style (read no twisties/wheelies, i.e. pussy) really needs them?:hmmm:

Jim

Trust me when I say 15wt Silkolene fork oil and Progressives! You will love them! I have a full Race-Tech kit in mine and it rides like a sport bike but the Progressives ride softer and transform the bike! You'll love it!

:cheers:

Trust me when I say 15wt Silkolene fork oil and Progressives! You will love them! I have a full Race-Tech kit in mine and it rides like a sport bike but the Progressives ride softer and transform the bike! You'll love it!

:cheers:

I did make note of the Silkolene recommendation in another thread. If you think my pansy style of riding will appreciate those springs, I'm thinking I'll give it a go. :rocket bike: I saw someone say $98, I'll look for the source of that price. I just spent around $900 on a full brake job (3 rotors) pads and Prep. H.
Thanks for the advice and info!!
Jim

I did make note of the Silkolene recommendation in another thread. If you think my pansy style of riding will appreciate those springs, I'm thinking I'll give it a go. :rocket bike: I saw someone say $98, I'll look for the source of that price. I just spent around $900 on a full brake job (3 rotors) pads and Prep. H.
Thanks for the advice and info!!
Jim

900?? I put Galfer wave rotors, EBC HH pads and stainless braided lines all the way around for less than that! :surprise:

900?? I put Galfer wave rotors, EBC HH pads and stainless braided lines all the way around for less than that! :surprise:

I mis-remembered, went back to look and the brake portion was $620, the rest was a new helmet and such....sorry.

Do I need the inner & outer fork bushings and the fork seal driver? I know I should get the copper washers, seals but what about dem bushins and seal driver?

Jim

Do I need the inner & outer fork bushings and the fork seal driver? I know I should get the copper washers, seals but what about dem bushins and seal driver?

Jim

Only if you have a ton of miles on it... I have a professional seal driver for both my bikes and love them. I've done it the home made way but they suck!

Copper washers, blue loc-tite. Check out the FAQ page for a great how to.:thumbs up:

Last edited:
Jim, what's happening to your bike in your avatar?:ummm:

This is the only way I can do a wheelie :confused2:

Actually, I was about to do the 0-ring fix and pull the pan. I wanted to get it up high so I could see what I was doing. I ended up using the bracket that bolts on to hold the pipe in. I bought it from Vmaxbits.com.

Jim

This is the only way I can do a wheelie :confused2:

Actually, I was about to do the 0-ring fix and pull the pan. I wanted to get it up high so I could see what I was doing. I ended up using the bracket that bolts on to hold the pipe in. I bought it from Vmaxbits.com.

Jim

LOL I did mine on the ground with the center stand off the bike... I used the plastic button on mine. I thought I might as well since the exhaust was off getting replaced with an A/M system... :thumbs up:

An engine hoist is one way of getting it done I guess. You could use the same method for the forks I guess...

Only if you have a ton of miles on it... I have a professional driver for both my bikes and love them. I've done it the home made way but they suck!

Copper washers, blue loc-tite. Check out the FAQ page for a great how to.:thumbs up:

Chris,Is he a good rider?

Back