Front suspension opinions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TB99Max

Reaction score
So now that I got my carb issues squared away I want to get everything dialed in. I have a leaking fork seal so I'm going to replace both of them so I want to lay out my current setup and get some opinions on what oil and PSI I should be running. I'm 6' 3" 210lbs and I'm not trying to carve canyons with it, Im using it to ride to work work on occasion (40 miles one way) and cruise it when I can on some 2 lane roads. The original owner is the one who did all the work and got ripped off by a shop. I actually have those invoices and his suspension work is this.......
Racetech gold elem kit $126
Race fork springs $90
Maxima 5w. $8.99
This is exactly how is was worded on the invoice. So when I do the fork seals what do you guys recommend for the oil weight and PSI I should be running

I have no idea which ones. That's all the invoice said and I did not buy it from the original owner. I am the 3rd owner and the second owner knew absolutely nothing about.

Racetech do not give any figures for adding air therefore I would assume they are set at atmospheric.

The oil, which affects rebound rate is suggested by Racetech to use a 20wt oil.
If you want more or less rebound control then different weights of oil can be used.

The Valve spring pre-load, affects the overal firmness, controls a mushy feel and the speed that the front end dives under breaking should be set to two turns.
As with the oil this can be changed if desired.

MOST IMPORTANT! To get the best out of the springs and emulators you MUST check and adjust the static sag.
This can transform how the front end performs and by not doing so probably means you are not getting the best from the set-up.

Also, when sourcing the seals, I suggest you go with OE.

Racetech do not give any figures for adding air therefore I would assume they are set at atmospheric.

MOST IMPORTANT! To get the best out of the springs and emulators you MUST check and adjust the static sag.

Also, when sourcing the seals, I suggest you go with OE.

Yes, yes and yes. Especially the sag setting. I learned the hard way that sag is of vital importance.

Don't worry, when you take it apart I'm almost positive the part number is on the Racetech spring somewhere. Then you can cross reference it and go from there.

I'm ordering the seals from Sean and pretty positive he uses OEM for those. As for the rest of what you guys are saying I'll have to see when I pull it apart. Also, I'm probably going to have to find a "how to" video on setting the sag.

Figured I'd share this with everyone. Donnie daughtry sent me genuine Yamaha oil seals and dust seals FOR FREE! I tried and tried to pay him and he would not let me! That's pretty crazy huh?! He also sent me some stock needles that I wanted to try..... also for free! Unfortunately I won't be able to work on it until next weekend because of my schedule but at least it's running pretty decent and I get to ride to work (40 miles each way) :eusa_dance: I'm still looking for some opinions on what fork oil to use if anyone can help me out on that.

I do mild/moderate canyon carving. I'm close to your height and wt and I just dropped in Progressives and synthetic import PS fluid, pretty much exactly how it is put forth in Seans youtube video. Very pleased how much improvement I got for a pretty small investment.

...suggested by Racetech to use a 20wt oil.

I'm still looking for some opinions on what fork oil to use if anyone can help me out on that.

Which bit of the extract from my post don't you understand? :bang head:

Just 'cos Mr A uses oil B it doesn't follow that you should as well. We are all different and there isn't a one size fits all solution.

Start with the manufacturers recommendation and if the rebound is too firm go with a lighter oil or a thicker viscosity if you want more.

I did read AND understand your post!! I wanted multiple opinions..... that's all.

I did read AND understand your post!! I wanted multiple opinions..... that's all.

Its definitely up to you on what you choose for oil. I ran Mobil last year, this year I'm running rotella.
I seen it being ran by many users, compared it to other oils, decided why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool man, thanks. I know ultimately it is up to me obviously but figured it couldn't hurt to see what others are running in heir front suspension.

Back