fuel gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can do anything your want, it's your bike! :eusa_dance:

You'll need a sending unit, a gauge, and the wiring to complete it, plus you'll have to put a hole in the gas tank for the sending unit.
A sending unit from a 80's model Seca (XJ750R) should work for your purpose, and a aftermarket fuel gauge from any auto parts store.

It seems like a lot of work to me, but yea... it's possible.

Just figure 100 miles or 160km and you will be needing fuel...:whistlin: I think a guage is nice, but usualy more of a hassel than anything...

Both of my bikes have lights and they work great!:thumbs up:

Has anyone put in an aftermarket fuel gauge?

Thinking about doing one in the next week or so...wanted to see if anyone has already.

It will go where the factory tach is, and I needed some info about the 'sender.'

Thanks
Chris

Has anyone put in an aftermarket fuel gauge?

Thinking about doing one in the next week or so...wanted to see if anyone has already.

It will go where the factory tach is, and I needed some info about the 'sender.'

Thanks
Chris

Hey Chris... Merged with existing thread... Hope you get your answer...:thumbs up: Personally I don't see the reason for it but it's all good!

Well, I just got a new speedometer and it only has an odometer.
I used the tripmeter on the factory speedo, and it worked great, but now I no longer have a tripmeter.

My mileage is pretty poor...right around 80 miles the light comes on.
I trust the light, but I dont think I want it coming on when I am 40 miles from the nearest town.
I could just do math on the odometer everytime I fill up, but I may easily forget what the mileage is when I fill.
Plus, if I romp on it, my mileage will go down and I may not remember the baseline I originally filled up with.

There are so many different fuel gauges and millions of senders out there, I was hoping someone did what I want to do.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

Thanks
Chris

Well, I just got a new speedometer and it only has an odometer.
I used the tripmeter on the factory speedo, and it worked great, but now I no longer have a tripmeter.

I trust the light, but I dont think I want it coming on when I am 40 miles from the nearest town.
I could just do math on the odometer everytime I fill up, but I may easily forget what the mileage is when I fill.
Plus, if I romp on it, my mileage will go down and I may not remember the baseline I originally filled up with.

There are so many different fuel gauges and millions of senders out there, I was hoping someone did what I want to do.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

Thanks
Chris

That's a good reason... Why use a speedo without the trip???:confused2:

WOW, I thought my mileage was bad at 33MPG! The worst mileage normally happens when I ride it back and forth to work. But when I do that there is a lot of throttle twisting (v-boostin') going on and I'm never more thatn 5-6 miles from a gas station. Otherwise I usually just fill up @ 100 miles b/c it a long walk between gas stations here in da U.P.

I dont want to deviate from my own post, but mileage is definitely an issue on my bike.

I have the cobra slip ons (it came that way...) and a KN filter. Not sure about the jets yet. I will have to look through some posts to find out what type of aftermarket jets (if any) are on the bike.

My friends max with Kerker 4-1 gets about 100mpg before the light comes on.

He laughs at my 80 or so mpg.

I'm getting to the point where I dont care that the cobras sound that good...

Chris

I dont want to deviate from my own post, but mileage is definitely an issue on my bike.

I have the cobra slip ons (it came that way...) and a KN filter. Not sure about the jets yet. I will have to look through some posts to find out what type of aftermarket jets (if any) are on the bike.

Chris
I would never laugh at 80mpg on a Vmax but maybe 80 miles to a fill up...:whistlin: Cobra's kind of suck... The jetting SHOULD be stock but who knows... :confused2:

I see 35+ out of my bike and I know it runs rich...:damn angry:

Chris

Would love to get 100mpg , maybe it runs on steam:ummm:

Back