fuel mileage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a 2002 max and replaced the cobra exhaust the bike had on when i bought it, with stock exhaust. The bike runs a whole lot better now but my fuel mileage although better, is still not where i think it should be. Before the swap I was only getting about 125 kms before the light came on now i get 140 km . A friend of mine is getting close to 165 km on his max. Should I check jetting? or does this mileage sound right?
Andrew

Depending on how you ride really...

If you're a Vboost junkie like most of us, then 140km is about normal.

If you 'granny-ride' (120km/h) constant on highway, you should see close to 200km.

On my '86 with Venture pumpkin, stock motor and jetting, Jardines slip-ons, big windshield, I get 105 miles (169km) before reserve constantly, riding town and highway around 85mph (137km/h).

The bike is new to me and I instantly fell in love with the vboost so ya i'm probably on it quite a bit. I'll have to try to show some restraint for a tank of fuel to see if it increases.....Naaaaaa I didn't buy it for the mileage!!! I did put a K&N air filter on it yesterday maybe it just needs to breathe more.
Andrew

:punk: I love these mileage questions. Who the heck buys a VMAX for mileage? Fill it up when the light comes on and then WOT until the light comes on again. No problem, Spurs

I was getting between 83 and 87 km's when the light came on for reserve and I only bought the vmax a month ago. So thinking I should get atleast a 160km before the reserve light I am fighting with the dealer here in Australia who sold me this 92 import. And after 2 weeks of not knowing what this can be since all the carbs are now sync' ed and there is no smell of the bike running rich and smelling like its throwing petrol from the exhaust (which it did smell like before the carbs were sync 'ed), he comes up with scenario.
Now all you guru's of VMAX's out there please tell me if this can be true.
It now appears that the bike is doing the correct km's but is showing half the km's on the trip meter. Is this even possible ? Has anyone else experienced this ?
He says he did this by doing a 50 km each way round trip. So in effect the bike should have show some 100 odd km's on the trip meter but it shows 54km's . Now I ride in a conservative manner to gauge the gas mileage this bike can produce and I am sure the shop mechanic is too. So if what he says is true then the said 25000 k's I bought the bike at is infact 50000 k's ?
Please can anyone shed a light on this thing for me ? I am lost and I am very close to filing a complaint about this dealer with fairTrade here to get a refund OR a replacement.

I was getting between 83 and 87 km's when the light came on for reserve and I only bought the vmax a month ago. So thinking I should get atleast a 160km before the reserve light I am fighting with the dealer here in Australia who sold me this 92 import. And after 2 weeks of not knowing what this can be since all the carbs are now sync' ed and there is no smell of the bike running rich and smelling like its throwing petrol from the exhaust (which it did smell like before the carbs were sync 'ed), he comes up with scenario.
Now all you guru's of VMAX's out there please tell me if this can be true.
It now appears that the bike is doing the correct km's but is showing half the km's on the trip meter. Is this even possible ? Has anyone else experienced this ?
He says he did this by doing a 50 km each way round trip. So in effect the bike should have show some 100 odd km's on the trip meter but it shows 54km's . Now I ride in a conservative manner to gauge the gas mileage this bike can produce and I am sure the shop mechanic is too. So if what he says is true then the said 25000 k's I bought the bike at is infact 50000 k's ?
Please can anyone shed a light on this thing for me ? I am lost and I am very close to filing a complaint about this dealer with fairTrade here to get a refund OR a replacement.

first thing I would do is confirm mileage/speed with a GPS and milemarkers on the highway (kilometer markings I imagine there)

Back