fuel pump problem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimobr

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently I bought a V-max that was standing a long time. I replaced the battery, oil, filters, made ​​complete basic maintenance. I am now having a problem that I believe is the fuel pump, please see the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDBCt006tOU

The 'tec tec tec" (not vboost!) Indicates problem with it? Sometimes the noise is much quicker and lasts much longer (without the cuts). Every time I turn on the motorcycle that happens. if it is, I will buy a new pump and perform the exchange. I appreciate everyone's help!

Keep running!

That is normal. It is just the fuel pump filling up the float bowls and pressurizing the system. The longer the bike sits, the longer you will hear the noise as fuel evaporates from the bowls. If you turn it on then off and turn it on again within a few seconds it should barely click as the system is filled and pressurized.

Agreed .sounds right, can you describe your problem?and why you think its pump related?

That is normal. It is just the fuel pump filling up the float bowls and pressurizing the system. The longer the bike sits, the longer you will hear the noise as fuel evaporates from the bowls. If you turn it on then off and turn it on again within a few seconds it should barely click as the system is filled and pressurized.

ditto ^^^ nothing wrong with it. thats normal

Agreed .sounds right, can you describe your problem?and why you think its pump related?

That's great that it's normal! I was worried about that, all other bikes I had not made ​​this noise and I never saw any other doing. Here in Brazil it is rare to see one of these running, so my doubt.

twistedmax, I worried about the pump because the previous owner said that noise was related to her, but could not explain why the noise.

A detail, after a long ride, as the system already has enough pressure, the noise should stop when turning the bike again then or ever do is normal (every start)?

I appreciate everyone's help.

if the tic tic tic last more than maybe 5 or 6 seconds, then you have a problem. don't time it with a stop clock, because 5-6 seconds is just an estimate. just be sensitive to an "excessively long" time.

Is the bike running / performing well? As stated the longer the bike sits the more fuel it will require upon Initial start. IE: if it sits overnite it may " tic tic tic" several times before its satisfied where as if you start and stop then restart it may not " tic " more then once to be satisfied.

Agreed with the thread. That noise to one variation of another almost every time, and sometimes when I'm riding really low rpm in 2nd gear around parking lots etc. I'll hear it too.

It sounds extra nasty if you didn't flip to reserve as the fuel light came on. I'd guess because that light/sensor shuts power to the pump, and is only turned back on when you flip to 'reserve'. The sensor is heat based when a lack of fuel exists in the tank to properly insulate the sensor, and so if you parked with the light on, it will be off for a few seconds the next time you start it cold.

So when you start it in those circumstances, the pump then flips on, fills and goes to work when it had not been previously. The change in duration and sound had me concerned until I read up on how the fuel light works and noted that the reserve light came on within a minute or so of start up.

Is the bike running / performing well? As stated the longer the bike sits the more fuel it will require upon Initial start. IE: if it sits overnite it may " tic tic tic" several times before its satisfied where as if you start and stop then restart it may not " tic " more then once to be satisfied.

The bike is running well, have not noticed any kind of fault running. Sometimes I have some difficulty to turn on after very cold nights, but this I believe is normal. The "tic" always happens, sometimes a single "tic", the same as video or as described earlier, faster and longer. Whether hang up and call again after a long run, or going a whole week parade.

as long as yer bike starts and runs well....i wouldnt worry. for the most part the fuel pump is pretty reliable. youre description sounds perfectly normal to me

You mention not hearing the noise on other bikes.

That is true, as most other bikes have the fuel tank located above the carbs and therefore do not need a fuel pump.

Due to the V-Maxs fuel tank being located under the seat it needs a fuel pump to 'lift' the fuel to the carbs.

With your help I can only conclude that everything is normal. Now I'll be able to focus on other parts of the bike that can improve. Thank you all for the help.

As stated already, if the bike runs strong and gets decent fuel mileage, its probably fine. But if it has been stored for a long period, the carbs might be crapped up and need disassembled for a good cleaning and inspection. Replacing gaskets and o-rings if they look bad, and inspecting the slide diaphrams for cracking and holes should be done while your in there. Check the fuel tank for rust, and replace the fuel filter.

The carburs were tuned up and treating them, I believe everything be ok, the bike is running ok, without any fault or gagging. Thanks for the tips, next weekend I will disassemble the fuel tank and check the general condition of it, change the filter and check the other items mentioned.

I'm with her a little over 1 month and has a lot to do to get what I imagine to be ideal.

Back