fuel pump? relay? problems?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomic punk

Reaction score
ok i have an 85 max bought it new has been a great bike no problems , 20 k mile no major mods, has been sitting lately but i fire it up every once in a while and ride it a bit, so it had been sitting i rolled it outside chargerd the battery, a little bit of starter fluid and it fired righty up but would not run, i didnt remember that i had drained the tank so ichecxked the fuel. sure enough no fuel put in fresh fuel hit the key hit the run, no fuel pump noise???? so i did it again, still no fuel pump noise, i checked the carbs dry, so no fuel, so i followed the instructions in the shop manual, checked power to the fuel pump, none....? removed pump and bench tested it.......nothing? has power to relay..........? what would cause this to all of a sudden not work? and am i overlooking something? does anyone rebuild those expensive little pumps, his thing looks brand new i can not belive it would just stop working? where to check for power out of relay other than fuel pump connection? email if you can help [email protected] thanks

Try a jumper wire between the blue/ black wire and the battery positive to see if it will run.
If it does (and without wishing to state the bleedin' obvious) the fault lies elsewhere.
The easiest way to check the relay would be by substituting with a known good un. Perhaps someone who has a spare could assist?

If the pump doesn't run then you need to have a butchers inside to check the condition of the contacts. These can burn over time and a good fettle will often sort them out.

This is stupid, but is the kill switch to run? Happened to me the other night while working on the 89. Blew me away for a few short moments...

Beyond that, if needed, I think CaptainKyle may have one for sale if it's not gone already...

Sounds like he has applied power to it on the bench so if that doesn't work then the pump solenoid side is bad or stuck. Take it apart and get the solenoid side loose. Maybe rap on it with a hammer (plastic or rubber if you have it) and see if that will get it moving again.

I am not sure but i may have a good pump still on hand. I also have relays, ect... if you want to use the loaner program we offer.

Sean

well i checked and doubl checked everything and it all comes back to the relay being bad but i can figure why the punp would be bad as well, it looks brand new very clean i t clean the contatcs a bit but still nothing? so iguess i replace them both huh? anu good deal out there dealer want 25 for relay 225 for pump

I've got plenty of the used parts (and some new) but the relay sounds pretty cheap from the dealer to me.

Back