fuel saving devices.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamster66

Reaction score
I know this will open up a huge can of worms, but this article IS worth reading for anyone looking to "create" more air turbulence in their bike and or car carbs.....
Myth Busters should do their own study on it.
This is ONLY 1 of many studies done on this subject.... and I'm sure, just like with Nessie or Bigfoot, there will be some who still believe despite proof.
Randy
http://www.fuelsaving.info/turbulence.htm

I have done something similar, I don't feel any fuel saving but it feels like it makes the bike accelerate a little smoother and stronger, no dyno testing or any objective results, just how I feel compared to not having them in.

Dreamster66 said:
I know this will open up a huge can of worms, but this article IS worth reading for anyone looking to "create" more air turbulence in their bike and or car carbs.....
Myth Busters should do their own study on it.
This is ONLY 1 of many studies done on this subject.... and I'm sure, just like with Nessie or Bigfoot, there will be some who still believe despite proof.
Randy
http://www.fuelsaving.info/turbulence.htm

Attachments

• Air_spiral_003.jpg
    Air_spiral_003.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Air_spiral_001.jpg
    Air_spiral_001.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 21
Is that a spring out of one of the old time bed springs?
I remember them as a kid....hurts like hell to have your hand in there when your brother jumps on the bed!

Let me help with the can opener!

These devices may help at low speeds but at higher speeds they just imped the air-fuel mixtures flow into the cylinder. Besides, the speed of the fuel mix burning has a GREAT deal to do with combustion chamber design. The link showes a " pent-roof" style chamber and a flat top piston.(????????) Normally this type of chamber would have a piston crown raised much higher or have a very LOW compression ratio. This type of chamber and piston are know for slow combustion ( as well as extra advanced ignition timing).
A combustion chamber with a flatter roof, lower included valve angle, and flatter piston with valve pockets will burn it's mixture faster ( with less ignition advance ) The folded chamber slowes mixture motion at TDC where as the flatter chamber does not.
Finally, any motion added by these devices is stopped at the valve and seat. And, all 4 valve motors use " tumble" motion rather than "swerl" motion of 2 valve motors ( except the "Hemi" )-- again combustion chamber design.
And really finally, IF these things workd they would be on the designs from the factories. Oh, the source of this info the Kevin Cammeron's book :
Sportbike Performance Handbook Chapter 3--- pages 22and23.

All other opnions welcome,
Lew

Like I said, some still believe in Nessie and Bigfoot....lol.
Me?.... I'll stick to what works.... if yamaha made the max for 21 yrs with no serious changes, apparently they made a good thing, if not, you'd seem to think there would be recalls and MANY people pushing for it to happen.
IMHO!
Randy

Back