Fuel tank removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudsonJA

Reaction score
After reading here and looking at VMax Outlaw Site. Oh and getting some beer! I started removing my fuel tank. I have came to realize that this is a pain in the ass! But I had fun doing it! Keep you all posted! Thanks for all the good info guys!

There is a drain on the tank if you simply needed to flush it. But, yea, it sucks.

Sean

Nope had to remove it. Rust in the bottom, going to have to clean it and seal it. Is it just me or is there a lot of extra shit that could be gotten rid of. Just a thought.

I guess I wasn't expecting a mud flap by the gas tank, that and I removed the housing around the head light that hold the turn signals, kind of like it with out that. Just seems like some of the parts aren't really needed. Could be just me, being pissed about having to remove a lot of stuff to get to the fuel tank though.

I guess I wasn't expecting a mud flap by the gas tank, that and I removed the housing around the head light that hold the turn signals, kind of like it with out that. Just seems like some of the parts aren't really needed. Could be just me, being pissed about having to remove a lot of stuff to get to the fuel tank though.

I just removed my rusted out tank and had it cleaned and kreemed by a local radiator shop for 80 bucks. I had to take my rear fender and rear wheel off to get mine out but it was not that bad of a job.

My knuckles would disagree but other than that it was just a little time consuming.

As far as the mudflap goes it doesn not weigh anything but offers alot of protection against road grime and whatnot.

After you get that tank resolved your gonna have to really clean the carbs out. I took a shot at it and did not get it as clean as I could have. The bike is now at yamaha getting a full carb clean and rebuild.

Have fun!

Abe

Just my opinion, but epoxy repairs are much better:
http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

I know dozens of motorcyclists who have used the Caswell epoxy and not one has ever said anything bad about it. I've used it two or three times as well.

The radiator shop I used had some epoxy as well. I just called it kreem to get the point across. When I got the tank back it looked like I could eat out of the inside of that puppy.

Latest posts

Back