Furbur or not Furbur?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To Furbur or not Furbur?

• Go back to stock nut/rubber/nut/lock ring

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Stay with Furbur Fix metal washer

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

naughtyG

Reaction score
Ok so I just replaced my steering head bearings - both were well dead.
I torqued to 50Nm as per the manual, then backed off to completely loose and retightened to about 6Nm (manual states 3Nm but but torque wrench won't go that low).
It now feels nice and smooth yet just tight enough without forks or anything attached yet.

I am now putting it back together, and am wondering if I should go back to stock setup with the rubber washer and lock ring, or stick with the Furbur Fix metal washer and no lock ring instead.

I have a feeling that the Furbur Fix is nothing more than a botch fix for old/worn bearings, but I dunno..

What does everyone think? :ummm:

I don't think the Furbur fix is necessary. I think it is more of a band aid, than anything.

I don't think the Furbur fix is necessary. I think it is more of a band aid, than anything.

I would agree. I re-did my bearings and had Sean help me set it up just like the tech manual says to and guess what. It is perfect:punk:
Cheers

Thanks for all the answers guys - I went with the stock configuration and am about to take it for a ride.

Soon as I found out I'll let ya all know the result!

I just snugged up my bearings Morley-style & all is well. I don't think either rubber or metal is better as long as the preload is correct.

Last edited:
So I've ridden it with the new bearings, and I think it's WAY better. That's with the rubber washer and lock ring as they should be according to Yamaha.

However I can't yet tell how it really is because I just found out my front wheel bearings also need replacing :damn angry: so I'm getting dodgy vibrations and a 'mini wobble' if I let go of the bars..

All I can say is my death wobble is gone after my version of a Furb-Fix. It took some experimenting to get the preload right but in the end she is smooth. On a good road you can run one-handed up over 125mph without the slightest shake or wobble. The only time she starts waggin' is with rider induced shake or crummy road. I find the factory fly-screen also helps.

Back