Gas reserve switch...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
well gang I ran outta gas yesterday...my light came on and I got nearly 40 miles on it before she ran out. I switched over to reserve with not results. How does the switch work and what is the point of it?

Since no one has replied yet, and I am sure you are chomping to get more riding in while it is still warm, here is what I have learned so far.

When the low fuel light comes on you are suppose to slide switch to reserve. In theory the fuel pump is switched off when the light comes on. This reserve switch restarts the fuel pump to get remaining fuel from tank.

I have seen other Maxxes (like yours) that consume the reserve without reinitiating the pump; while others stumble soon after the light comes on and the switch must be used (mine). In either case, when the low fuel light comes on your need to begin the search for fuel station soon, as you now have approx .8 of a gallon left.

I wonder if this variance in how they react to the low fuel light can be a undocumented model change to the V-Max over its many years of production. There seems to be differing views, but I am sure a veteran V-Maxxer will respond with the finite solution.

Dan

Last edited:
light would come on between 90 100 miles city and 120 highway ..and yes once light is on after a while motor will start to stumble and run out of gas ill hit the reserve switch and start looking for gas....mine takes 3 gal once the light comes on

yea pretty much the same here - light usually comes on at about 90 miles, then if I try to carry on it starts stumbling after a mile or so and switching to reserve makes it ok. I usually put 3.2-3.3 gal of 87 oct in when refilling.

yea pretty much the same here - light usually comes on at about 90 miles, then if I try to carry on it starts stumbling after a mile or so and switching to reserve makes it ok. I usually put 3.2-3.3 gal of 87 oct in when refilling.

87 is ok in the v max?

anybody ever dyno and see if higher octane squeezes a few more pony's from the stable...

I tried premium in mine and I started getting spark knock. The Max is designed to run on 87, unless you've done some major engine mods to increase engine size, etc.

I THINK THE LOW FUEL LIGHT SHOULD BE IN THE SPEED-O-METER ! I'VE BEEN RIDING IN THE DAYTIME WITH A FULL FACE HELMET & NOT NOTICED MY FUEL LIGHT ON & ALMOST SHIT WHEN MY BIKE STARTED SPUTTERING ! THEN I HIT THE RESERVE ! BUT UNLESS I'M WATCHING MY MILAGE & LOOKING FOR IT TO COME , I DONT SEE IT GLOWING IN THE DAYLIGHT ! ALSO MINE COMES ON WITH .9 GAL. LEFT IN THE TANK !:punk:

well gang I ran outta gas yesterday...my light came on and I got nearly 40 miles on it before she ran out. I switched over to reserve with not results. How does the switch work and what is the point of it?

Are you saying you were totally out of gas and switching to reserve did not result in more gas becoming available? If so, you probably had the switch in the wrong position. The knob should be under the "ON" position normally. When you run out of gas or the fuel light comes on, move the switch to the "RES" position. They should have printed "OFF" instead of "ON" for the reserve off position.

Are you saying you were totally out of gas and switching to reserve did not result in more gas becoming available? If so, you probably had the switch in the wrong position. The knob should be under the "ON" position normally. When you run out of gas or the fuel light comes on, move the switch to the "RES" position. They should have printed "OFF" instead of "ON" for the reserve off position.
THAT WOULD BE WAY TO EASY !:rofl_200:I MIGHT PUT THAT ON THERE MYSELF !:punk:

Latest posts

Back