Gear time! (leather or ?)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
Load me up with tips!

Leather? Some other material? Let me know what's good / better.

I want a full kit - helemts, boots, gloves, pants, coat.

I am worth a lot to me, so i don't mind droppin' some coin.
________
Camaro ZL-1

Last edited:
Try on as many items as you can. Helmets may feel good in the store but once you're pushing a head wind it can put undue press on your forehead. Boots should be comfortable while riding and walking unless you plan on bringing other footware when going to events. Jackets should fit tight across the chest while standing normal. They should also be tight or adjustable to reduce wind buffeting. Also think about cold & hot weather. Leather is great when it's cool but forget it when it's 30+ & you're stuck in traffic. Textiles are great for all round use.
Gear quality & function can be recommended by experience but comfort & fit is your choice.

For helmets ,check out this site, http://www.webbikeworld.com/...I found their info very handy for every day wearer comments.
As for the leather over textile. i had a leather jacket with a elec vest ...sold it to upgrade to a better jacket .
Borrowed a buddies Joe rocket ballistic with back Armour , it was warmer than my leather with the elec vest.
I'm trying the textile this time around. Till i find a nice leather jacket.

for helmets, I swear by my Schuberth, I don't think there's a better helmet anywhere. They used to be BMW helmets before they became their own company. Brilliant German engineering and quality, also the quietest helmet available today - you won't be disappointed.
Usually you also can't go much wrong with a Shoei or an Arai, both are good quality brands, if expensive. Schuberth is still way better, of course. Go to your stealers and try them on for best fit, then buy online as it's often as low as half-price.

For gloves, just go to the stealers and try on for best fit. Get a pair of summer gloves and another for winter. If you go for really light summer ones, then also get a nice pair of thin waterproof ones, and make sure both of these and the winter gloves come with a guarantee so you can take them back for exchange if the fail in the rain. (75% at least of 'waterproof' gloves will fail after 30mns riding in decent rain)

For jacket/trousers, I've always found leather to be the best riding material, but it's down to personal taste. I now have a very light mesh jacket with armour because in FL it's 88+ every day from april to november. For winter I have a nice thick horse hide aviator jacket that's been perfect on all my bikes for many many years. It's got no armour but the leather is so thick it really feels like good protection.
I recently tried on a textile jacket with removable thermal liner, and that felt very good too, although too hot for me here most of the time. Again this is best bought where you can try it on, so just go to your nearest 3 or 4 stealers and try things on before buying the best for you.

Back